Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Data journalism: Frontline Club International Partners
Transcript of Data journalism: Frontline Club International Partners
Data doesn't mean you stop talking to people
Would it still be news if you got rid of the graphics?
So you've got a big number - but is it all that big in context?
Creative accounting: sometimes the story is hiding in plain sight
Stanford Data Wrangler
Mapping: Google Fusion, CartoDB
Dashboards: Tableau, Qlikview
Illustrative charts: DataWrapper, Google Charts, Infogr.am
Network graphs: Gephi
Rich interactives: d3
http://bit.ly/ggftabs, http://bit.ly/cartodb, http://bit.ly/tabpublc
http://bit.ly/qlkview, http://bit.ly/datawrpr, http://bit.ly/ggcharts
It's expected of academics, why not of journalists?
The Spirit Level
The minimum: correlation vs causation, significance
Advanced: regression, modeling, Bayes
Tools: Statwing, R
Not essential, but significantly advantageous
Generalist vs specialist
Learning to code: Codeacademy, School of Data
What is data journalism?
Why is it important?
What is in the data journalist's toolkit?