Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
BA 240 CASE ANALYSIS - JCPENNEY
Transcript of BA 240 CASE ANALYSIS - JCPENNEY
When it comes to leadership and motivating employees,
Every Day Matters
2. SWOT Analysis
3. William "Bill" Ackman
4. Issues of the Article
5. Problem Statement
7. Decision Matrix
"Who Wrecked J.C. Penney?"
"Learn from JC Penney’s Mistakes: 3 Ways to Reduce Employee Turnover"
William "Bill" Ackman
JCPenney’s lack of leadership causes downfall on its company’s operations.
- Struggling U.S. Economy: "Cuts are deep, and wounds are not healed."
- Other competitors such as Macy's, Ross, and Kohl's Corp.
- Lack of leadership.
1. Sell Cheaper Stocks
2. Promote Internal Hiring
3. Hire a Dream Team
- Diverse supplier base
- Compels private and national brands
- Marketing campaigns
- Closing under-performing stores and exiting its catalog business.
- Witnessed falling comparable store sales the last 4 months.
- Stocks declined 1.9% in August, 0.6% in September, 2.6% October, and 2% in November.
- Compared to Macy's, and Ross, black Friday sales are not as good.
- They are incorporating more brands into their stores.
- Collaboration with "Liz Claiborne Inc."
"Given the pros and cons embedded in J.C. Penney, it might be difficult for an investor to decide whether to buy, hold, or sell the company stocks" (Zach Equity Research).
May 11, 1966
New York, USA
Harvard Business School
Director of J.C. Penney Company from
Feb. 22, 2011 - Aug. 13, 2013
Guinto, J. (2013, October 16). Who wrecked J.C. Penney?. Retrieved from http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_CEO/2013/November/Who_Wrecked_JC_Penney.aspx
Vardi, N. (2013, September 26). Bill Ackman was right about J.C. Penney. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2013/09/26/bill-ackman-was-right-about-j-c-penney/
Sanghoee, S. (2013, August 28). Why Bill Ackman’s failure with J.C. Penney is a lesson in leadership. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sanjay-sanghoee/why-jcpenney-is-a-case-st_b_3824206.htm
Krenek, C. (2012, July 3). Learn from
J.C. Penney’s mistakes: 3 ways to
reduce employee turnover. Retrieved from
Chapter 15 & 16
3 Ways to Reduce Employee Turnover
Reflect company values
Communicate with all employees
Who Wrecked J.C. Penney?
Bill Ackman hires Ron Johnson to replace Mike Ullman
Decrease in company stocks
1. Issues with each other
2. Ackman and Johnson's decisions
Mike Ullman's Return
Hire A Dream Team
Look for qualified people
Chart 1 (pg. 429 & pg. 501)
Assign into departments
Do not ignore company issues
Chart 2 (pg. 425 & pg. 497)
Intrinsic and Extrinsic Rewards
Reflect company values
pg. 429 & pg. 501
pg. 425 & pg. 497
111 year old company
Found in 1902 with 1,107 department stores
Internet retailer since 1998
"This board has been fiddling while J.C. Penney burn" (Executive of J.C. Penney Headquarters).
1 - bad, 2 - poor, 3 - okay, 4 - good, 5 - excellent
2013 - 116,000 full-time and part-time
2012 - 159,000 full-time and part-time
Decline of 27%