Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Listening Skills TOEFL
Transcript of Listening Skills TOEFL
Andrés Rodríguez Gist questions are questions to ask about the overall
ideas of a passage as a whole. Detail questions ask you about specific pieces of information that are stated in the passage. This type of questions asks you to understand not just what the speaker said but why the speaker said it. Strategies for Listening 1. Be familiar with the directions.
2. Dismiss the directions as soon as they come up.
3. Do not worry if a listening passage is on a topic that is not familiar to you.
4. Listen carefully to the passage.
5. Use the visuals to help you to understand the passages.
6. Take careful notes as you listen to the spoken material.
7. Look at each question to determine what type of question it is.
8. Choose the best answer to each question.
9. Think carefully about a question before you answer it.
10. Do not spend too much time on a question you are unsure of.
11. Monitor the time carefully on the title bar of the computer screen.
12. Guess to complete the section before time is up. They may ask about the subject, topic or main idea of the passage. They may also ask what overall purpose the passage serves. Basic Comprehension They may ask about the overall gist ( the main idea or overall topic) Questions about the gist of a passage How to identify the question What is the subject of the passage?
What is the topic of the passage?
What is the main idea of passage?
What is the purpose of the passage?
Why... in the passage? Where to find the answer Information to help you understand the gist may be directly stated at the beginning of the passage. It may also be necessary for you to draw a conclusion about the gist based upon the information provided throughout the passage. How to answer the question 1. Listen carefully the beginning of the passage to develop an initial idea about the gist of the passage.
2. Then, as you listen to the rest of the passage, adjust your idea of the gist of the passage as you consider what the speakers are saying. As you listen to each passage, you should focus on the details from the passage because questions about details quite commonly accompany the passages. Questions about the details in a passage How to identify the question What is stated in the passage...?
What is indicated in the passage...?
According to the speaker...?
What does the lecturer say...? Where to find the answers Information needed to answer detail questions is directly stated in the passage.
The answer to detail questions are generally found in order in the passage. How to answer the question 1. Listen carefully to the details in the passage.
2. Look for an answer that restates the information from the passage.
3. Eliminate the definitely wrong answers and choose the best answers from the remaining choices. Pragmatic Understanding The purpose of the pragmatic understanding questions is to understand the spoken English. i. e. speaker's function/ speaker's attitude You may be asked, for instance, to determine that a speaker said something in order to apologize, explain, clarify a point, change a topic, indicate a change of opinion, or suggest a new action. Questions about function How to identify the question Listen again to part of the passage.
Why does the speaker say this?
What does the speaker mean? Where to find the answer The part of the passage that indicates what the speakers what the speaker says will be replayed for you. How to answer 1. Listen carefully to what the speaker says in the part of the passage that is repeated.
2. Draw a conclusion about why the speaker says it.