Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
"Growing Up," Russell Baker
Transcript of "Growing Up," Russell Baker
2. Define "gumption." Use context clues to help you!
Match each description with one of the vocabulary terms
1. Mrs. Williams always passes on her infamous words of wisdom.
2. Mrs. Vance attacked and ate her lunch with enthusiasm because she had packed macacroni-and-cheese.
3. Mrs. Roberts walked quickly past our English class.
4. Although students were perfectly behaved in English today, Mrs. Williams seemed to be in one of her moods where nothing would please her.
5. Key Details
Page 8: Write down your vocabulary terms:
3. How would you characterize Buddy so far? List three important details about him.
4. How do Mom, Buddy, and the Curtis Publishing Company executive feel about Buddy's new job?
5. Why do you think Russell's mother pushes him so hard?
6. Compare and contrast Buddy and his sister.
7. What are Buddy's mom maxims? Write them down with a citation to give credit to the author.
1. Connect: What do you already know about the Great Depression?
An example of sarcasm is, "So far as I could make out, what writers did couldn't even be classified as work" (Baker 628). This is ironic because although Baker says that writers do not appear to do much at all, we as the readers and he as a writer know that writing well is an incredibly difficult task.