Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Year 3- Heat
Transcript of Year 3- Heat
- Students use a thermometer to measure and record temperature
-Students brainstorm ways that heat can be produced
-Students identify the three ways that heat can be transferred between objects.
Links to the curriculum
Critical and creative thinking
Personal and social capabilities
Heat can be produced in many ways and can move from one object to another (ACSSU049)
A change of state between solid and liquid can be caused by adding or removing heat (ACSSU046)
- the amount of energy in a body due to its temperature
- measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a body
- the quantity of energy that has been transferred during the heating process
Thermal energy can be transferred in three ways; convection, conduction, and radiation.
Students sort different heat sources into categories by deciding whether the heat objects by convection, conduction, or radiation
Design an Experiment
Students design an experiment to answer the question 'How do different materials react when heat is added or removed?"
In this lesson students will explore how thermal energy is transferred from an object with a higher temperature to an object with a lower temperature through convection, conduction, or radiation.
This lesson focuses on the explore stage of the 5 E's Model.
-Use thermometers to measure the temperature of different bodies.
- Experiment with heating and cooling different substances such as water, wax, dry ice and observe how they change as they are heated or cooled.
-Brainstorm how they use heating or cooling everyday e.g. hot water for shower, cooking, air conditioning etc.
Post Lesson Ideas
Primary connections unit resource- Melting Moments
Videos, Games, and Quizzes
List of Links to lesson plans and Experiments for Year 3