Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Variation + Natural selection
Transcript of Variation + Natural selection
To know the mechanism of evolution
To know the links with biodiversity
Genetic variation + Natural selection = Evolution
What is BIODIVERSITY?
What can LIMIT it?
How can biodiversity affect evolution?
1-5 page 127
Key points of evolution by natural selection:
individuals in a species show a wide range of variation
this variation is because of differences in their genes
individuals with characteristics most suited to the environment are more likely to survive and reproduce
the genes that allow these individuals to be successful are passed to their offspring.
Individuals that are poorly adapted to their environment are less likely to survive and reproduce. This means that their genes are less likely to be passed to the next generation. Given enough time, a species will gradually evolve.
A quick tour
What was Jean Baptiste Lamarck's theories in the early 19th century?