Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sleep – Informative Speech
Transcript of Sleep – Informative Speech
• Fabbri, Marco, Monica Martoni, and Vincenzo Natale. "Circadian Preference and
Perceived Quality of the Sleep/wake Cycle in Italian High School Students."
• Hegarty, Stephanie. "The Myth of the Eight-hour Sleep."
• Lejuwaan, Jordan. "Alternative Sleep Cycles."
• Rivers, Martin, Janet Mullington, Claudio Stampi, and Roger Broughton. "A
Program for Studies of Altered Sleep-wake Schedules and Performance."
• Stampi, Claudio, Nigel J. Ball, David Dinges, et al. Why We Nap: Evolution,
Chronobiology, and Functions of Polyphasic and Ultrashort Sleep.
• Stampi, Claudio. "Polyphasic Sleep Strategies Improve Prolonged Sustained
Performance: A Field Study on 99 Sailors."
• Takasu, Nana N., Yumiko Takenaka, Makiko Fujiwara, and Motomi Toichi.
"Effects of Regularizing Sleep–wake Schedules on Daytime Autonomic
Functions and Psychological States in Healthy University Students with
Irregular Sleep–wake Habits." Kristine Clancy Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Definitions Monophasic Sleep: Sleep for one period of time per day Biphasic Sleep: Sleep for two periods of time per day Polyphasic Sleep: Nap When Needed 20-30 minutes when needed Biphasic / Siesta Cycle Sleep roughly 4 hours at night,
then take a long nap (about an hour
and a half) in the afternoon Uberman Cycle Take half hour naps every 4 hours
Total Sleep Time: 3 hours per day Everyman Cycle One long sleep with several naps 1.5 hours
20 min naps (4-5 x a day) 3 hours
20 min naps (3 x a day) Dymaxion Cycle Sleep for 30 minutes every 6 hours
Total Sleep Time: 3-4 Hours Per Day What We're Talking About • General Information About Sleep • Alternative Wake-Sleep Schedules • What does the research say? Sleep for multiple periods per day Uncommon Alternatives Additional Notes • Somewhat standard solutions to sleep deprivation
• Many people currently use these alternatives without much thought
• Incompatible with "9-5" work schedule
• Societal dislike for naps Additional Notes • Must maintain sleep schedule closely (much more rigid system)
• Total hours of sleep per day significantly lowered from 7.5-8 hours
• Many positive testimonials--but lack of scientific research on these cycles specifically The Myth of the 8 Hour Sleep
Stephanie Hegarty 1990's Thomas Wehr
• Biphasic Sleep (4 hours -- 1-2 hours -- 4 hours)
2001 Roger Ekirch (Historian)
• 500+ references to biphasic sleep
• Street Lighting Polyphasic & Ultrashort Sleep Schedules
Claudio Stampi • Mimics sleep patterns in nature
• Babies & Elderly are polyphasic
• Isolated cultures are polyphasic • Experiment 1: 2 out of 11 people did well
• Experiment 2: 6 Air Force Cadets
• Could work for 2-3 months
• Motivation a key factor Adult Napping & It's Effects on
Ability to Function --David Dinges • Negative stigma associated with napping
• Naps are "neither consistently beneficial nor
detrimental" (Why We Nap, 129)
• Adverse/Positive effects on mood &
performance 7.5-8 hours (Chakroverty)