Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Me and My Shadow by Jane Tompkins
Transcript of Me and My Shadow by Jane Tompkins
by Jane Tompkins
Background information about the author and the essay
- professor of English at Duke University (North Carolina, USA)
- married to Stanley Fish, a leading figure in critical theory from the States.
Reader-Response Criticism: From Formalism to Post-Structuralism
Sensational Designs: The Cultural Work of American Fiction
- essay "Me and My Shadow" (1987)
-> critic on Ellen Messner-Davidow's
- Public-Private Dichotomy:
founding conditions of female oppressions
- Patriarchal Ideology:
"Western epistemology [...] is shaped by the belief that emotion should be excluded from the process of attaining knowlegde." (p.123)
- Confused Notion of Epistemology
The interest for reading and what triggers it
Personal vs. impersonal
The degredation of women
Why is Theory important?
2 voices to clarify her point of view:
- 1st: theoretical point of view (critic)
- 2nd: hidden inner voice of women
(referring to feelings/emotions)
"The voice of a person who wants to write about her feelings."
Knowledge culturally based
Mother Tongue : expecting an answer, connecting
Father Tongue : not reasoning but distancing
Feminist Criticism and Theory, WS 2013
Sharon Dana, Isil Özdemir
What do you think about personal feelings in literary criticism?
Do you think it is possible to get one's message across without including one's own thoughts?