Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Why Do Biologists Classify Organisms
Transcript of Why Do Biologists Classify Organisms
Chapter 8: Diversity of Life
Science is ALL about Digging into the Details...
from the BIGGEST...
to the tiniest...
What does it mean to CLASSIFY?
It means to group things based on similar traits or characteristics
does it have wings?
do they crawl?
does it have leaves?
is it single-celled?
In the Sciences...
Biologists classify organisms to make it easier to study, analyze and research them.
Chemists classify elements and chemicals to better understand how they react with each other
Zoologists classify animals to know which ones can be housed in the same cage or area.
What do other scientists or professions classify ?
the study of how organisms are classified.
The Swedish botanist who developed the process of classifying and naming living things
The Naming System
is the system of naming organisms that includes a two-part scientific name (based in Latin and Greek)
First word is the
First letter of genus name is capitalized
Second word is the
The two-part name
Example: the Lion
Why Classification ...?
... this gives us the ability to study all the aspects of living things in an organized way.
You go hiking with your friends on a Saturday, and while you're out you discover a strange looking creature. Of the choices below, what would help you best identify its classification?
A. Its size, location and color
B. Its length, structure, and its habitat
C. Its structure, size, its food
D. Its color, size and food
1. What does it mean to classify?
2. Draw a picture that represents
3. What does
4. Draw a picture that describes diversity of organisms.
5. As the number of diverse organisms increases, what happens to the ability to classify these organisms?
whether they are unicellular or multi-cellular
their ability to make food
type of cell
8. List the
characteristics that determine which domain or kingdom, an organism fits into:
7. Draw an image, symbol or picture that helps you understand that domains contain larger number of organisms that share general traits and species contains smaller number of organisms that share more specific and very similar traits. Label "domain" and "species" to help clarify these differences.
6. List these
Levels of Classification