Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
J-1 Exchange: Health Insurance
Transcript of J-1 Exchange: Health Insurance
Why do I need health insurance?
In many countries, health care is a public service. But this is not the case in the United States.
This means that health care in the United States can be very expensive!
Unfortunately, some people in the United States accumulate very high amounts of debt because of this.
However, you can avoid this by purchasing health insurance! (This is why both San Francisco State University and the US Department of State require you to have health insurance.)
What do you think is the average cost of a trip to an emergency room in a hospital in the United States?
Umm... Fifty dollars?
Nope, the average cost is about three thousand dollars!
How do I purchase the SF State approved health insurance?
What do I do if I don't receive a confirmation email?
First check your spam folder. If it isn't there, you can contact Customer Service by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can call +1-800-955-1991 (option 8)
How do I use my health insurance?
When you are sick or injured, you may need to seek medical treatment. Before you receive medical care, you will be asked for your health insurance card. (Information on your health insurance card will help determine whether or not you need to pay, or how much you will need to pay at the time of your visit.) If you are asked to pay for only some of the cost of the visit because the remaining cost will be paid for by your health insurance, then you are being asked to pay a
What should I do with my health insurance ID card?
Put it in your wallet! You never know when you might need it. You should also make a copy of your card and keep it in a safe place at home.
What should I know about my health insurance?
Know where medical services are before you need them.
Know what your health insurance will and will not pay for. (Injuries that come from participation in high-risk activities may not be covered by your health insurance.)
Know how to file a claim for reimbursement for medical services.
Know where to find more information about your health insurance.
IEEC is planning a sky-diving trip! Will my health insurance cover me if I go?
Hmm, you should check your health insurance plan. Sky-diving sounds like a risky activity to me.
Where can I get medical services?
If you have a life-threatening emergency, you should go to the emergency room that is closest to you.
What should I do if I have a medical emergency but I can't get myself to the emergency room and no one else can help me get there?
Call 9-1-1! That's the emergency number for the entire United States.
What is the Student Health Services Center?
The Student Health Center, which is located on the SF State campus, provides medical services to SF State students. Services include:
Health and Wellness Education (nutrition, exercise, and reproductive health)
STD and HIV testing
Wow, all of those nurses and doctors look very happy.
That's because this presentation is almost over. Now all we need to do is take the quiz.
Don't forget to take the quiz!
If you need medical care right away, but your illness or injury is not life-threatening, you should go to an urgent care clinic.
Student Health Services/Doctor's Office
If your sickness or injury is not life-threatening and you do not need care right away, you should visit Student Health Services or make an appointment to see a doctor.
Sometimes, you might need to pay for the total cost of medical treatment, and then be reimbursed by your health insurance provider later on. The process of filling out and submitting necessary paperwork to your health insurance provider in order to be reimbursed for medical services that you already paid for is called
filing a claim
The money that you paid in order to buy your health insurance is called the
is the amount of money that you must pay yourself before your health insurance will start paying for the entire cost of medical expenses.
Presentation created by Kirsten Greene, San Francisco State University
The exchange staff at SF State told me I have to purchase the SF State approved health insurance, but I already have health insurance. Why do I have to buy more insurance?
Everyone who comes to SF State on an exchange program has to have sufficient health insurance. The best way to make sure everyone is covered is to make sure that they are all on the same plan that has already been approved.
1. Go to www.4studenthealth.com/isfsu.
2. Click on “Enroll”
3. Click on “Start Enrollment”
4. Click on “Yes, I agree to be above and would like to continue”
5. Select the term that applies to you. If you are coming to SF State for the Fall 2018 term, then select “Fall.” If you are coming to SF State for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019, then select “Annual – Academic Year.” (If you are coming to SF State for both Fall 2018 and Spring 2019, then you MUST enroll in the Annual – Academic Year plan. You are NOT permitted to enroll in the Fall only policy. Failure to enroll in the correct policy can jeopardize your participation in the program. Please double check to make sure you choose the right policy.) The, click “Continue.”
6. Select the “Student” option, the click “Continue.”
7. Enter the required information, then click on “Continue.” (Your visa type is J-1.)
8. You probably do not have a US mailing address yet. If not, select the box that indicates “I do not have a US based address.” This will populate the mailing address fields for you. If you do have a US address, you can enter it. Enter your phone number and email address. If you do not have a US number, use 415-338-1293. You can use your personal or your SF State email address.
9. Verify the summary and click on “Continue.”
10. Enter your payment information and click on “Continue”
11. You should be taken to a confirmation page.
SAVE THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS!