Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Is Facebook creating “iDisorders”?
Transcript of Is Facebook creating “iDisorders”?
After a year the researchers concluded that greater use of the internet was associated with more signs of loneliness and depression. Robert Kraut Yair Amichai-Hamburger Vincenzo Cosenza Larry Rosen Facebook is the largest in the world with 1.2 billion members
Based on the assumption that superficial on-line interactions are rapidly replacing high-quality face-to-face interactions between friends, thus compromising the quality of friendship.
Online communication is being used to enhance both the quantity and quality of communication between friends, leading to greater closeness and intimacy. Friendship: An old concept with a new meaning? L.D. Rosen, K. Whaling, S. Rab, L.M. Carrier, N.A. Cheever.
Is facebook creating “iDisorders”? The link between clinical symptoms of psychiatric disorders and technology use, attitudes and anxiety.
Computers in Human Behaviour (2013)
Article in press.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.11.012 The link between clinical symptoms of psychiatric disorders and technology use, attitudes and anxiety. The purpose of this current study was to examine whether:
(1) use of technology and media,
(2) attitudes toward technology and multi-tasking
(3) anxiety about not being able to check in with technology and media
would predict clinical symptoms of psychiatric disorders: such as major depression and OCD etc. in a sample. Media/Technology Use and Feelings 1) Millon Multiaxial Clinical Inventory
2) Daily media, technology and Facebook usage
3) Technology-related attitudes
4) Technology-related anxiety Has Facebook trivialised the concept of friendship?
The displacement hypothesis:
The stimulation hypothesis:
More people than ever 'mentally ill' Peter Aldhous