Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Conserving textile
There are three major factors that determine the final characteristics of any textile- the fibre form, the source of the fibre, and the method of constructing the final product
Man-Made and Metal Fibres deterioration forgotten Þuríður Elísa Harðardóttir conservation on field Light is usually the greatest threat to textiles and dyes photograph
lift with surrounding matrix
do not wash on site
black polythene box & Melinex
store in a cool place
call a conservator! storage what to look out for textile’s condition and size
methods 1 & 2 rolling storage flat storage example 1 silk cloth found during an excavation
good preservation and good on-site conservation
then cleaned with wet-cleaning, dried and fixed example 2 textiles preserved on bodies
found at Vác in a dominician church
example 3 child mittens found here in Iceland at Heynes and made out of Vaðmál exposure likely to survive in... waterlogged environment
desiccated environments decay factors 1. organic
3. chemical linen, cotton, wool, and silk professional conservation vacuuming
dry-cleaning thanks conclusions
utilizing basic knowledge about textile structure and deterioration can effectively preserve flat textile objects