Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Introduction to Conservation Biology
Transcript of Introduction to Conservation Biology
Main Goals of Conservation
What can you expect?
Service Learning Component
SF Estuary Institute
Group Outings (SL presentations)
A relatively new, integrated science that has developed in response to severe changes in the ecosystem.
What is Conservation Biology?
1. Document the full range of biological diversity
2. Investigate human impact on species, communities, ecosystems
3. Develop practical approaches to prevent species extinction
& Sustainable development
Conservation “problems” addressed
4 Ethical Principles of Conservation:
1. The diversity of species and biological communities should be preserved.
2. The untimely extinction of populations and species should be prevented.
3. Ecological complexity should be maintained and evolution should continue.
4. Biological diversity has intrinsic value.
How is cons bio different?
Both value-laden & mission driven
Advocacy oriented & crisis oriented
2013 UN report: "steep decline in Central African elephant populations over the past decade and observes that multiple mass slaughters of the animals have been reported in protected areas in recent months"
Fact: 30% of amphibian species are threatened with extinction