Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of The 1975
January 6, 2013
Instrumental Music Period 3
Band Members : Matthew Healy ( vocals, guitar ) Ross Macdonald (bass guitar) , Adam Hann (guitarist), and George Daniel (drums)
- Genre : Though generally acknowledged as an indie-rock/alternative rock group, they have been influenced by diverse genres including electro-pop, electronic music, guitar pop, and R&B.
- Musical Influence : Healy specifically cites Talking Heads, Prince, My Bloody Valentine, Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, D'angelo and Sigur Rós as musical influences; he states that his greatest influence is the oeuvre of filmmaker John Hughes.
How they got the name :
The name was inspired by scribblings found in the back page of an old Beat poetry book dated "1 June, The 1975. Matt Healy had gotten the book from an artist he'd met while waking around on a trip to the northern part of Majorca. The artist gave the journal to Healy after they stopped and engaged in conversation when Healy saw a bunch of furniture outside the house and asked the artist about it, who was sitting on the porch. When he finally read it a couple months later, one of the pages stood out to him because it had a bunch of scribblings that he couldn't determine whether they were suicidal or life affirming. The date the page said it was written was "1 June, The 1975"
Where did they grow up: They are an English, Manchester-based band from Wilmslow in Cheshire.
How they formed: All band members met as teenagers and began to play music in 2002. After Hann invited the members to form a band, they passed their early days covering punk songs in a local club. Healy was originally the drummer, but took over vocals after the previous singer left to start another band. Daniel was recruited as the new drummer to complete the final line-up. Eventually they wrote a song and began music from there. They've been making music since age 15 .
They say they've been playing together in punk groups in the city for almost 10 years.
"We got very used to being in the scene of underground Manchester bands where the world of main stream radio and media seems a genuine lifetime away,"
"It's hard being a band from Manchester - a lot of bands just use it as a sort of badge of honour," he explains.
"It's a very tribal attitude towards music. We have never done that. We've never been a Manchester band for being the sake of being a Manchester band.
- Matt Healy
Albums, Songs, and Tours
Release of the band's first EP, entitled Facedown, was in August 2012 which saw the band's first UK airplay on national radio with lead track "The City",
Gained national radio attention again in late 2012, with BBC Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe championing their single "Sex" from the Sex EP, which was released on 19 November 2012.
Release of Music for Cars EP was on 4 March 2013, The 1975 found mainstream chart success with single "Chocolate", which reached number 19 in the UK singles chart.
Supported Muse on the second leg of The 2nd Law World Tour at the Emirates Stadium in London. They also toured with The Neighbourhood in the US in June 2013, and supported The Rolling Stones in Hyde Park on 13 July 2013. In August, the band performed on the Festival Republic Stage at 2013 Reading and Leeds Festivals.