Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
Change of scale study.
Change of scale study
· This is one of the issues in which more attention has to be paid.
To scout and select and
alternative reaction technology
Construction, assembly and start up
Once the engineering stage has finished, the "reactor plant" can be built.
Design of equipment
· Techno-economical analysis using the results from the previous stage and lab.
Reactor and auxiliary installations design
· Design basis
Thank you for attention!
There is a chemical reaction A+B - C, that has been developed in the laboratory at 1 l reactor scale. When the reactor was heated up to the reaction temperature, self-heating of the mixture up to the solvent boiling point was reached.
Describe the steps to transfer the process from the laboratory scale to the plant process scale at 10m3 batch stirred tank jacketed reactor.
How to scout and select an alternative reaction technology to be used for this process.
Design of equipment (reactor and auxiliary items & installations).
Construction, assembly and start up.
· In operational terms, the same conversions, selectivities and yields have to be achieved in the process plant when it's compared to the lab scale.
· It's could be supposed that the reaction is carried out in a batch reactor.
· There is no data about the kind of reaction, kinetic and operation conditions except a very important consideration related to
· It's supposed that a market research has been carried out previously to this challenge in order to define the added value of the product "B".
1) Dimensional scale study
To reduce the number of variables which are involved in a chemical-physical process.
· Those variables are included in
and these ones provide an
· There are differents methods to achieve this
purpose (Rayleigh method, Buckingham method...)
2) Similarity theory
· If the previous study is positive, the engineering stage
can start defining a
(basic engineering, detail engineering, construction and start up)
· Mechanical design
· Instrumentation & Control design (in this case thermal gestion is very important)
· Electrical design
· Safety-installations design
· Gas detection
· Fire protection measures
· Hazardous areas clasification
Risk analysis methodologies
Start up of the plant:
- Cold state testing (all the systems have to be checked).
- Tests with operation conditions (taking samples and analyzing them).
- Study of the results from lab and data from control room, comparing with results from lab scale system.
- Optimization of the plant working.
A study of variables which can be changed have to be done:
Route of synthesis
Taking into account the conclusions from the previous study, we will have to come back to the lab in order to study the "new process".
· Extrapolation of data method.
· Anyway, for the purpose of this
presentation, that kind of information
· As far as possible, dimensionless numbers
have to be similar in lab and
in plant scales.
To search a different product
which offers the same properties