Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of GMO Plants
GMO Plants •First GM plant, in University of California at San Diego 11/07/1986
•Took genes from fireflies added them to the plant
•In the future it might be used for other animals or plants Flavr Savr •Tomato
Has all great vitamins
•Why it isn’t beneficial:
•Calgene, no history with tomatoes
•They are not traditionally breed
•Not many bought Created By: GENETICALLY MODIFIED
ORGANISMS •Select certain traits
•Easier to create modified organisms
•Ultimate goal for GMO Plants:
Resist harsh weather condition
Resist viruses What is GMO Plant? • Prehistoric Era
• 1900 - Gregor Mendel
• 1953 - James Watson and Francis Crick
• 1973 - Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen
• 1980 - The U.S. Supreme Court
• 1982 - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration
allowed Genentech’s Humulin History LJ, Rawan, Laila Resources Why Genetically Modified Plants? Environmental Damages Increase pesticide, herbicides, glyphosate
Glyphosate diminishes soil quality
Glyphosate is highly invasive and mixes with:
•Groundwater Same nutrition in different edible plants Environmental Benefits Hmmm....
I'm hungry W
E M Thank you! •Advanced Science
•More efficient crops and plants
•Greater resistance to viruses and
•Better nutritional value
•Do not mold as fast
•Better for the economy