Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Dominican Republic

No description
by

Keonte Kendrick

on 22 September 2017

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo
Founded in 1496, Santo Domingo is the capital of the Domincan Republic
Map of D.R
The color blue stands for liberty, the red is for the blood of their nation's heroes, and the white is for salvation
National Holidays
January 26
-Juan Pablo Daurte Day; birth of key founding father
February 27
-Independence Day
June 15
- Corpus Christi; catholic festival "The body of Christ"
August 16
-Restoration Day; Start of the war against Spain
November 6
-Constitution Day
Pop, Size, Area
The Domincan Republic has a population of 10.65 million and is roughly 18,700 square miles
Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is an island nation in the Caribeann that shares the island of Hispaniola with the nation of Haiti to the west. To the east is Puerto Rico seperated by a narrow strip of water
Major Cities
Santo Domingo -2,201,941
Santo de los Caballeros
-1,200,000
La Vega
-235,698
Industries/Exports
Major exports goods include sugar, coffee, cocoa, ferronickel and tobacco while the major industries are agriculture, food processing and metal refining
Sports
Suprisingly, the most popular sport in Dominican Republic is baseball. It is so popular that Dominicans make up the second highest number of baseball players in the MLB (only behind Americans)
Languages
Dominican Republic has only one official language which is Spanich
Government
Dominican Republic is a democratic republic. The chief in command is President Danilo Medina
After gaining their independence from Haiti in 1844, Dominican Republic suffered multiple dictators and shortlived governments until roughly the 1960's. The final dictator was President Rafael Trujillo
Danilo Medina
Driving side
The Dominicans drive on the right side of the road, just like the USA
Music
Music from the Dominican Republic draws its roots primarily from West African traditions but does have some influences from minor European countries and the native Taino influences
Foods
-Sancochos: A popular meaty stew common to many Latin American cultures
-Arroz con pollo: "Rice and Chicken", a very popular dish also common in Puerto Rico
-Mangú: A very popular dish consisting of mashed plantains, served with eggs, fried Dominican salami and Queso Frito (Fried Cheese)
Ethnic Groups
The Taino were the original natives of what is now the Domican Republic even though it is now believed that there may have been even earlier civilizations on the island. While the Taino were the main inhabitants of the island, it was split into 5 chiefdoms (basically seperate kingdoms) each with a number of towns, cities, and villages. The five cheifdoms were Jaragua, Marien, Maguana, Magua, and Higuey.
Famous faces
Most famous Dominicans that we might recognize are MLB players. There are a few actors from popular american shows such as Dascha Polanco from Orange Is The New Black but the good majority are pro baseball players.
Military
The Ministerio de Defensa de la República Dominicana (Ministry of Defense) consists of three branches. Army, Navy, and Air Force. The commander-in-chief of the military is the President. You can join the military at the age of 15 in the Domincan Republic. United States as well as Spain and France (the two former countries who used to rule over Hispaniola) are the country's biggest allies.
Flora and Fauna
Popular animals include the American Crocodile, the Rhinoceros Iguana, and several species of turtles while the island is full of beautiful palm trees, coconut trees, and lush green vegetation.
Currency
The Dominican Peso is the main currency in the Dominican Republic. The peso is equivelent to .021 American dollars (roughly 2 cents per peso)
Geographic
features
Religions
The majority of the nation (95%) is Roman Catholic while the remaining 5% is split up between different religions
Cathedral of Santo Domingo
Green Beans
Well Mexicans call green beans "ejotes" and since both countries speak Spanish, I can only assume that green beans in Dominican Republic are called "Ejotes"
Full transcript