Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of 1930s
Social and Political Events
The Great Depression
A complexion know as "Gardenia" and "Tea rose," white, waxen and ivory with a touch of pink were two popular face foundations, during the 1930s.
Eyelids shades varieties from blues to orchids.
Eyebrows were plucked very thin or shaved off entirely then filled in with eyebrow pencil.
Lipstick tones were primarily reds
Hair was becoming more feminine.
Finger waves and pin curls were the way to go.
Birth: San Antonio, Texas, March 23, 1905
Death: NY, May 10, 1977
Famous costumer designer Adrian created a dress for Crawford for her role in 1932 “Letty Lynton”
Greta Lovisa Gustafson
Birth: Sweden, September 18, 1905
Death: New York, April 15, 1990
One of Hollywood's Most mysterious Stars
She was the highest paid women in America
Eleanor Lambert famous fashion publicist introduced Garbo to Valentina.
One of the first male icons
Well dressed southern man
1939 Film “Gone with the wind”
First contribution to men style 1934 “Its happened one night”
He unbuttoned his dress shit to reveal his bare chest, than an under shirt
Suits with board shoulders manly build
Masculine and feminine look
Re-invention autumn 2012
- Stock Market crash, October 29, 1929
- "use it up, wear it out, or do without
- went from a decade of excess to a decade of restraint
- no longer a time for risk taking
- time of modesty in clothing and spending\
- can't afford french fashion
- evening dresses made with cotton varieties
- need and greed
- rebellion and fast money
- Prohibition (1920-1933)
- carried themselves as "businessmen"
- general attitude of the time was against the government
- fast money
- Bonnie's 1930 style
Bonnie & Clyde
- "dirty thirties"
- abandon farms
- migrate to California
- lasted until 1936
- no unnecessary spending
- "Streamline Moderne"
- men's fashion emphasized chest
- woman's skirt length fell below knee
- jewelry, hats, gloves, and handbags
- practical shoes
- zippers finally used in woman's wear and newly used in children's clothes
Original Blonde Bombshell
Born: Kansas City, Missouri March 3, 1911
Died: June 7, 1937 LA
Red Headed Woman
"An era of scandalous elegance"
Golden Age of Hollywood
Gone With The Wind (1939)
Wizard of Oz (1939)
The Women (1939)
King Kong (1933)
Actors such as Joan Crawford, Clak Gable and Jean Harlow
Radio and Music
Radio becomes an integral part of every household.
Big Bands and Swing Music
1938 - War of the Worlds
Like Mae West, many women had bleached their hair blonde to portray themselves to look like her.
The hair was the crown and glory of Women back then.
With the onset of the Depression
people became more thrifty.
Use old clothes to make new ones. Buying patterns were big and making your own clothes.
Women were getting patterns out of magazines to make their own clothes.
Most were adorned with a hat as well