Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
CASE STUDY FMB&T
Transcript of CASE STUDY FMB&T
Presented by :
Principles and Practices of Management
Presented to :
Dr Dolhadi Bin Zainudin
• FMB&T Commercial Banking was a California-based commercial bank with branches located in the surrounding metropolitan area and offices around the
• controlled by the Marshall Pinkard since the 1980s.
• more than 115 offices in U.S. cities across nearly 30 states
• support evolving domestic and international lending
• FMB&T’s has a large concentration of bankers aligned with a variety of industries
• Example : Financial Institutions, Franchise, Healthcare, Heavy Equipment Distribution
President & CEO of FMB&T
Vice President & Chief Information Officer
1) FMB&T is California-based regional commercial and consumer retail bank
2)Marshall Pinkard,the President and CEO of FMB&T,
recently hired Ayishia Coles as the new Vice President and CIO
3)Pinkard opened an email from Coles
expecting to get a report on how she was settling in.
He was suprised to find that she was vey unhappy and had a long critique of the company's information system.
4)Coles said that the IT system at the bank
were far below those of other business and,
as a result,were causing confusion and inefficiency.
5)Coles wants a more narrowed description of her duties because her attemps to facilitate the IT issues have caused conflict and been unwelcomed by the unit managers.
6)The email for what is essentially an organization wide resructuring,
Pinkard must decide how to define
Coles' role in the company and how to maximize his IT resources for optimal business efficiency.
What are the main organizational causes of the frustrations that Ayishia Coles feels?
If you were Marshall Pinkard:
1)how would you address both Ayishia's request for clarification about
her authority and responsibility
underlying problems her email brings to his attention.
1)Reviewing our organization's strategy and structure to see how the CIO fits into the company.
2)make a clear statement about Ayishia about her job authority.
2)Either Minor adjustments OR drastic overhaul of the bank's organizational
2)Make a minor adjustment by
keeping the vertical srtucture,
but introducing "intersection" into the structure
Matrix structure at the IT level
Create cross-functional teams
Aisyia able to announce central IT policy to branch IT personnel
unlimited flow of information between the CIO and the branches easier.
ensure that IT concerns of the other branch immediately addressed.
composed of personnel from each department to attend meeting in order to solve on-going problem.
3)Influence factor of technologies and enviromental in making decision.
3)IT as technologies factor is used :
to operate efficiently
help them focus on customer needs.
Consider the suggestion of a regional branch president as enviromental factor to locate decentralized IT personnel under branch authority
speed up the delivery services.
Sketch a general chart for the type of organization that you think would work best for IT at FMB&T.
Relationship between information technology and the bank's other business units in a state of confusion.
Lack of patience
Poorly defined problems
Lack of responsibility.
Decisions are concentrated at the top at the hierarchy.
"And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided.”
"All are custodians and are responsible for their charges".
(Bukhari, Sahih al-Muslim, vol. 2, p.6.)
• Teamwork and collaboration
• Leadership skill
• New communication in technology
• Generate new ideas
of structural design
In chapter 10,we mainly learn about designing adaptive organization.
FOR YOUR ATTENTION
"Misunderstanding about job responsibilities
combined with bad organizational structures
causes setbacks for ones company."