Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
NIGHTMARE IN JAMESTOWN
Transcript of NIGHTMARE IN JAMESTOWN
1. Complete 'Historical Scene Investigation'
2. HSI Reflection HW
3. Jamestown guided notes
4. Pocahontas Comparison
5. Nightmare in Jamestown "Stump the Teacher"
"I can explain how the Americas, originally inhabited by Natives, were explored by Europeans for ECONOMIC and RELIGIOUS reasons."
Why did England want to establish a settlement?
Compete with Spain & other European nations for the 3Gs!
(land & power)
(spread the word)
1. Established in May 1607 (409 years ago!!!)
2. 104 original settlers, ALL men/boys.
3. Started by the "Virginia Company"- a Joint Stock Company
Joint Stock Company:
People with $$$ invest (give) it to the Company to start up a new colony. If the colony fails, they lose $$$, but if i succeeds, all investors split profits!
LIFE IS DIFFICULT!
Lots of unskilled workers
couldn't farm, build, etc
Settled in a
with mosquitoes (MALARIA!) and poor conditions for growing crops
conflict with Powhatan
Ate horses, dogs, rats, roots, snakes, bark, leather, and PEOPLE
Possible that the
Plague/Black Death, Malaria,
or other disease
90% of settlers die during 1st 4 years
The two Johns
Led Jamestown starting in 1608
Built Fort James
Earned trust of Powhatans
, which led to trade and help with food
If you don't work, you don't get to eat
Full of himself...
Did he lie in his journals?
Was he saved by Pocahontas?
Early Jamestown settler
Brought tobacco seeds
from the West Indies, planted them in Virginia, and started the
Tobacco = $$$$
Makes up for lack of gold