Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
What is Leadership??
Transcript of What is Leadership??
Take your Introduction Activity Sheet and find a person you have never met before. Take turns asking each other the questions on the sheet and write down the answers!
Get to know each other & have fun!
When are you finished, please return to your seat!
How do you define leadership?
What is leadership? What does it mean to you? What are some key words that you would use to define leadership?
Let's hear from some experts!
How are others defining leadership?
You are on time to events
If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will not receive credit for attending the workshop. Same goes if you leave early. Please let me know if you will ever be late or need to leave early from a speaker.
You are respectful to our guest speakers and presenters
You are respectful to each other
You fully complete assignments and turn them in by the due date
You communicate with myself if there is something I needs to know that could impact your grade or completion of the course
BSU Email is set up and you check/use it
You have fun!
Take out a piece of paper, and write down your answer to one or all of these questions.
Tear your piece of paper out, and hold it in the air for an ambassador to come collect.
John C. Maxwell
Internationally recognized leadership expert, coach, author, and speaker who has sold more than 19 million copies of his books.
"Leadership is influence."
Warren Bennis is an American scholar, organizational consultant and author, widely regarded as a pioneer of the contemporary field of Leadership studies.
“Leadership is a function of knowing yourself, having a vision that is well communicated, building trust among colleagues, and taking effective action to realize your own leadership potential.”
Dr. Joanne B. Ciulla
Dr. Joanne B. Ciulla teaches courses on ethics, critical thinking, conflict resolution, and leadership in international contexts.
"Leadership is not a person or a position. It is a complex moral relationship between people, based on trust, obligation, commitment, emotion, and a shared vision of the good."
Do you agree with these statements?
Which one do you agree with the most? Why?
Are there any statements you disagree with?
Is there a "right" way to lead?
Jim Kouzes & Barry Posner's
The Leadership Challenge
5 Practices of
1. Model the Way
1. Find your voice by clarifying personal values
2. Set the example by aligning actions with shared values
2. Inspire a
3. Envision the future by imagining exciting activities
4. Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations
3. Challenge the Process
5. Search for new opportunities by seeking innovative ways to grow, improve, and change
6. Experiment, take risks, and generate small wins
4. Enable Others
7. Foster collaboration by promoting group goals and building trust
8. Strengthen others by sharing power and responsibilities
5. Encourage the Heart
9. Recognize contributions by showing appreciation!
10. Celebrate the values and victories by creating a community!
Top Leadership Characteristics
Kouzes & Posner completed a study and found people
were looking for their leaders to be...
Leader or Not?
LID Assessment Pretest
We are going to take an assessment to determine where you are in your leadership journey at this point
At the top of the paper, please put your name, today’s date, and your Phase. We are in Phase 1. Then in each category, you will select the statement that best describes you. You cannot choose two, you cannot choose zero. You must select one in each section.
Take your time to fill out this assessment. Once you’ve completed, raise it in the air and an ambassador will collect it.
Monday, September 29, Pruis Hall at 8:00pm:
Sheryl WuDunn, Author of
Half the Sky
.Bring your friends, roommates, professors, etc. This event is open for the entire campus! She will also be available for a free book signing after the event! :)
Monday, October 6, Student Center Ballroom at 7pm:
We will have a Comedy Sportz Indianapolis, who will discuss body language.
is due on
October 27th at 7pm
. We have Pride Guides up front for you to grab on your way out!
ONE LAST THING...