Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
CS632 Modular Data Center
Transcript of CS632 Modular Data Center
SW’s New Data Center Purchase & Installation
Final Project Presentation - CS 632
[WBS, Milestones, Cost & Resources]
HR & Communications
Methods used to estimate cost
Effort: 2,159 hours
Effort: 739.38 days
Work: 5,323.5 hrs
Duration: 156.6 days
--> method chosen
<--Ref. Project Overview
<--Ref. Risk Analysis
Limits & Exclusions:
•Physical space available to host the data center - factor in vendor selection
•Company can’t be down during normal business hours; final switch on weekend
•The supporting infrastructure of SW Enterprises
•Cable rerouting limited to 10 Gb/s from each building switch to the new modular data center
•Data migration is out of the scope of this project.
•Main switch per building on the company’s campus tied into the data center with 10 Gb/s fiber
•SW Enterprises’ data center site has supporting infrastructure required
Modular Data Center Research -
Modular Data Center Purchase -
Cable Rerouting -
Final Connection and Setup -
•Immediate energy savings of more
•PUE < 1.5
•Completion of project for < $750,000
•Completed in 7 months
Current energy cost for cooling and power consumption > hundreds of thousands per year
New capability and new High Performance Computing Centers are being purchased for SW’s future growth and expansion
This project will:
reduce energy consumption by 85%
drop Power Utilization Effectiveness (PUE) from 5.3 to less than 1.12
Current data center costs for electricity and cooling average $25,000 a month
The total savings to the company from this project will be over 50%.
Physical space may not be enough or may not have the necessary distribution to host the modular data center.
Modules are prefabricated so there is a risk of having to give up on specific configurations or settings that might not be available with the modular data center.
High dependence on the vendor; rely on them for support and maintenance.
Compatibility issues between the existing equipment/applications and the new modular data center
Security risks are always present when there is data related
1. Low PUE and energy savings
2. Server Space
3. Quick delivery and setup
4. Ease of day-to-day operations
5. Remote access to manage modular data center
6. Battery backup and generator power
7. 10 Gigabit per second backbone speed
8. Strict access to modular data center will be maintained (physical access)
9. Requires strong credentials for login to the server (login access)
10. Confidential SW Enterprise data is encrypted
11. Maintaining capacity, cooling and power
12. Employees have fast access to the system at all times
13. Modular data center design allows for an increase in servers and racks
Set goal for following meeting and prepare for it,
Google Hangouts, external emails
What didn't work?
Google Drive, internal emails
Break each task into sub-tasks and review daily
What didn't work?
Many deliverables each week
(individual vs group); personal commitments
Utilize each others strengths when dividing tasks
(example: website, presentation, etc.)
Each have a different line of work / expertise
Similar to a real-life project in terms of research
What didn't work?
No experience with topic (data centers)
Milestone 1 - Scope & WBS etc.
- 6/3/2013 - Type (Internal, Flexible)
Milestone 2 - Cost Estimates & Quotes
- 6/19/2013 - Type (Internal, Flexible)
Milestone 3 - Vendors Selected
- 7/1/2013 - Type (Internal, Mandatory)
Milestone 4 - Modular data center purchased
- 7/2/2013 - Type (Internal, Mandatory)
Milestone 5 - Cable rerouting complete
- 11/18/2013 - Type (Internal, Mandatory)
Milestone 6 - Data center delivered & installed
- 11/27/2013 - Type (Internal, Mandatory)
Milestone 7 - Testing and switch over complete
- 12/17/2013 - Type (Internal, Mandatory)
Q & A
Benefits to business
Energy & Cost Savings
Scalability, Agility & Growth
Availability & Performance
PR Campaign: Green Initiative
Security & Disaster Recovery
New York, USA
Thank you for joining us!