Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Nominalization
Avoid making verbs into nouns:
Not: It is our contention that the defendant is guilty.
But: We contend the defendant is guilty.
Nominalizations occur with noun-making suffixes:
Revise to eliminate nominalizations:
1. There was an occurrence of a burglary at the residence of Mr. Zymox.
2. It was the committee's intention that the students would engage in the evaluation of their own lives.
1. A burglary occurred at Mr. Zymox's home.
2. The committee intended that students would evaluate their own lives.
is means "equals"
two plus two is four.
Avoid "The Reason is because"
"the something is when"
The reason we lost the game is because the other team was better.
We lost the game because the other team was better.
The reason we lost the game is that the other team was better.
Each lawyer should take his clients seriously.
Use His or her
Make the subject plural
Eliminate the pronoun
NEVER NOT USE DOUBLE NEGATIVES
My client never said he did not say no.
Commonly Confused Words:
In Today's Society = Today
At the present Time = Now
In the event of = If
In Spite of the fact that = Despite
at that point in time=then
for the purpose of=to
in order to=to
by means of =by
Comprised of vs. composed of
"comprised of" is always wrong.
The campus comprises(includes) three buildings.
1. He gave a particularly impactful speech
that positively impacted my decision
to attend law school.
2. The impacts of the president's decision began
impacting the growth of the economy in a negative
3. He impactfully delivered a speech about the impacts
of crime in the neighborhood.
Eliminate wordy connectives in the following:
1. At the present time, we have no plan in the event of a hurricane occurring.
2. In today's society, we need to practice clear English in order to communicate effectively despite the fact that there are real challenges to our language.