Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Bernays Situated History
Transcript of Bernays Situated History
Father of Public Relations Bernays is the inventor of the strategy of the 'tie-in' in which advertisements are linked to each other. This is still seen today, but even more common is product placement. "This is an age of mass production. In the mass production of materials a broad technique has been developed and applied to their distribution. In this age, too, there must be a technique for the mass distribution of ideas." Edward Bernays About 54% of homes in the U.S. had more than 3 or more television sets, 28% had 2 television sets and only 18% had 1 television set. There were 114.5 million homes with television sets in the U.S. in 2009 The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
– (Edward L. Bernays, "The Engineering of Consent", 1947) Hannah Semaya
Bobby Dougherty Propaganda (1928)
By Edward Bernays
· The concept of his book is to explain the manipulation made by government that shapes our society.
· Social engineering in a democratic society.
· They mold our minds to have a “smooth funtioning society.”
· There is a model for business and politics
· We are governed by suggestions made by people we don’t know of. “Torches of Freedom”
· Encouraged women to smoke
· A symbol of equality with men
· Bernays hired women to march to promote women smokers
· Smoking was considered a taboo act by women
· Made smoking publically acceptable for women, increased market
· Implications: corporations wanted to transform the majority of america and how they view products
· “a shift from a needs to desire culture” The agent that considers the modern media of communication and its connection with society
The public is the main concern
The way the public reacts to a product
The attitude of emplyees to the public and towards the product
Cooperation of the distribution agencies
Advertising and its connection with television (product placement) NASCAR