Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Task-based Learning (LOI ContactDag)
Transcript of Task-based Learning (LOI ContactDag)
tasks that require skills in every-day life. A traditional non-TBL lesson is often based on PPP:
Presentation, Practice Production PPP: Great for grammar instruction.
But where is the free language output? Presentation Supermarket Fruit Theme
Teacher introduced different fruit items to the learners Strawberry Apple Banana Now study those words carefully Practice Supermarket Fruit Theme
Learners have to practice the learned language. Say it together with me:
STRAWBERRY Production Supermarket Fruit Theme
Learners now have to produce their own language __________ ______ Now fill in the gaps! TBL FRAMEWORK:
Pre-task Phase - Introduce the topic
- An introduction activity to recall useful words and phrases
- Pre-teaching new vocabulary Task Cycle Learners carry out a certain task, using the language i.e. role play, listening task,
problem-solving exercise Task cycle:
- Task Stage
- Planning Stage
- Report Stage
Task Stage Planning Stage Report Stage Learners carry out
task in groups or pairs Learners assemble their information
and prepare for their presentation Learners present their task, using the language actively. Language Focus Phase Analysis Study the language item into more detail Practice Practice the language in different context. i.e. other role plays or skill-activities Examples role plays, questionnaires, videos, audio, reading texts, photos, maps, brochures, anything with a communicative context BE CREATIVE! Pre-task phase EXAMPLE Theme: Getting a cuppa
"Can I get a cup of coffee?"
"Do you want milk or sugar?"
"Can I have the bill please?"
"I like my coffee black"
Task Cycle Role play in a coffee shop A: "Hello, may I help you?"
B: "Can I get a get a cup of coffee?"
A: "Yes, would you like milk or sugar?"
B: "Black is fine, thanks."
A: "Do you want it to go?"
B: "No, I'm just waiting for a friend. We will sit here."
A: "Ok, no problem. That will be £2.50" * Learners have to create their own role play Language Focus Teacher focuses on language: Asking questions. How do you structure questions? Learners then practice in a different context (i.e. a bar or shop) Other examples: - Buying gifts - Calling customer service - Poster advertisements
- Visiting the doctor - Creating travel brochures - Quiz shows Advantages Student centred motivates and engages the learners to complete the task Freedom choosing different ways to complete the task and use language freely Variety different outcomes and conclusions Build fluency pulling from knowledge of English in task Focus what's the meaning of the message? Not only form, but meaning is important The end