Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Team Teaching and Classroom Lesson Share (HS)
Transcript of Team Teaching and Classroom Lesson Share (HS)
Communication, Communication, Communication!
Understand JTEs` Teaching Philosophies & Styles
Plan lessons together, offer & take suggestions, evaluate
Use English as much as possible during classes
Don`t overstep boundaries
Be Yourself & Have Fun!
Lesson Planning 101
What is Team-Teaching???
- What do you think of when you hear "team-teaching"?
- Discuss your thoughts with the people near you.
- Let`s chat about what team-teaching is.
According to MEXT (The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology), team-teaching is, "any time two or more teachers work together to guide an individual learner or a group of learners toward a set of aims or objectives.
ALT vs JTE
Grammar vs Oral Communication
Target Language vs Native Language
Role of the ALT
* Increase students` motivation towards English communication
* Promote cross-cultural understanding
* Help with effective & varying language instruction
* Encourage student participation
* Develop effective lesson materials & activities
* Provide on-the-job training for JTE
Role of the JTE
* Use English skills to communicate with ALT and scaffold target language during lessons
* Establish lesson plan topics
* Guide ALT in developing teaching skills
- make time to build relationship with ALT
- plan, discuss, & evaluate lesson plans
* Overall classroom management
Sapporo Orientation 2013
So that`s team-teaming...but what do I actually do?
* Think of warm-ups, games, & activities!
- "Do you have an activity we can use?"
* Ask JTEs about what you can help with
- copies, edit & create materials/worksheets, brainstorm class projects, English Board
* Share your ideas, teaching vision, ask & give opinions during planning sessions
* Talk to students to get to know them & their interests. You can use it to your advantage!
* Curriculum/Lesson Topics (JTEs/MEXT)
* Required Materials
* Lesson Objectives
* ALT`s Role & JTE`s Role
* The Three P`s: Presentation, Practice, & Production
Sample Lesson Plan Layout
Patience is a virtue
*Japanese students are generally very shy & don`t like to be singled out
*Students are not always interested in English
*Take note of the class nuances: social groups, behavior, English level, strengths & weaknesses and use to your advantage
Classroom Discipline is the JTE`s Job
* Proximity, Attention-Getter/Hand Signals, Silence
* Ask JTES how they would like to deal with mistakes during class
*Be light-hearted & suggest a "different or better" way,
LESSON PLAN TOGETHER!!!
Lesson Planning 102
- Sets the mood of the lesson & creates interest
- connects previous lesson topics & engages background knowledge
- Lesson explanation (grammar/target language/conversation points)
- Controlled Practice (worksheet/activity you control the answers to)
- Discuss the answers together as a class
- activity where the students give free responses using learned points
- additional practice, review points
Complete the Dialogue
(Minus the Booze)
Cross the Line
Rashidat Amanda Bakar