Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
search for truth
Transcript of search for truth
The Beginning of Oedipus' Search
Oedipus is a very altruistic person in the beginning, caring a lot about his society, fearing the plague, having no thought for himself whatsoever.
"We beg you,/all of us on our knees." (Oedipus Rex 372-373)
"The crown the city gave me." (Oedipus Rex 435)
"I stopped the Sphinx!" (Oedipus Rex 451)
"Wait, who is my father?" (Oedipus Rex 498)
Oedipus Tortures for the Truth
“Fail to solve the mystery of my birth? Not for all the world!” (1161-62).
“So you won’t talk willingly-- then you’ll talk with pain.” (1266-67).
Search for Truth in
Oedipus the King
“After a painful search I found one cure:/ I acted at once. I sent Creon” to “the prophet’s oracle--to learn/ what I might do or say to save our city” (Oedipus Rex, 80-1, 83-4).
acted “at once”
“wept through the nights” searching for a cure (78).
“I curse myself as well … if by any chance/ he proves to be an intimate of our house,...” (284-5).
Thanks for listening!
So he blinds himself
Seeing the truth is
too much for Oedipus