Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Media Literacy
-What is its purpose?
-What beliefs do its creators have and how is it reflected on their outlet (media source)?
-How might people convey this media product differently?
- How do these images make you feel about yourself in the society you live in?
- Do these images promote positive or negative thinking?
-What aspects of this media capture your attention? The Culture of Fear How to be Media Savvy Beauty Information, of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view -Society has corrupted the definition of beauty
-Each society defines what beauty is
-Beauty varies depending where you live Used to create fear, ideologies and secularism Gender Roles Sexism/Misogyny Racism Homophobia Men are perceived to be dominant, where women are submissive Women must be inferior in all aspects (intelligence, strength etc.) Highly influenced and promoted through music Through conditioned humor media outlets promote racism This belief stems from the paradigm of women being physically weaker There are not many media sources that promote or speak on gay subject matter The group/person is dehumanized allowing audience to believe they are less than people The culture of fear is when the media exploits the fears of the audience in order to promote conformity and consumerism. The culture of fear creates, reinforces, and perpetuates stereotypes. Through the viewers' ignorance the culture of fear promotes discrimination of many kinds. To understand that all media are constructions - always be an active participant by asking questions rather than a passive recipient Understand that advertising is about persuasion and the selling of values, beliefs, ideologies and lifestyles TAKE MEDIA LITERACY!!