Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Improvised Hydro-generator
Investigatory Project of Group 2
IV- Saint Peter Nolasco
Since electricity is a necessity, people have been finding out alternative ways on how to generate electricity from materials around us and nature itself. People nowadays have been finding ways to find alternatives for everyday things, examples of these are ways of recycling, insecticides and consumer products.
Significance of the Study
This study is about making an improvised hydro generator out of scrap materials. The researchers aim to serve as a reference for other students in thinking of many ways on how they can improvise things to be a new product and be beneficial. It also gives services for others during brownouts or blackouts when they need to contact people once this study is tested and proven for usage of general public
Scope and Delimitation
The study focused on making an improvised hydro generator out of fan blades, PVC pipes, copper coil, magnets, wires and plate. This study required methods or procedures like assembling, drilling and testing. The improvised hydro generator will be used as a replacement to other generators that are expensive or not affordable.
Statement of the Problem
This study aims to produce an improvised hydro generator and it tried to answer the following questions:
1. Is the generator really beneficial?
2. Is it environmental friendly?
3. Is it really effective in terms of its quality?
4. Can the generator produce enough electricity to power a simple light bulb?
The Problem and Background of the Study
The researchers chose to make an alternative for an energy source, thus the improvised hydroelectric generator. As the name implies, it uses water to energy, by means of mechanical energy and electromagnetism. The generator can be powered by any means of flowing water, such as running water from a faucet. It could generate enough electricity depending on how may coils the generator has.
It is important to think of a product that everyone could benefit from. It can help our country to have lesser reports about fire since there are no individuals that are using candles just to break out from the darkness. Instead they use the improvised hydro generator. If there are fewer cases of burned houses, it means that there would be a lot of families that would be safe and the population of the country wouldn’t drop. It is also important to let the citizens be aware of this. Helping our country’s economy can bring us ecstasy. The researchers have come up with this creation to make an affordable product due to the intensifying hindrance on our country.
The researchers chose this study as a further investigation if it could be beneficial for the people and for the country. The product was tested by observing the light bulb if it would lit. This study was conducted at Becares’ residence. The researchers performed the experiment in a clean room using clean utensils and equipments
1. Yes because in terms of energy it involves reduction of CO2 emission and besides it has low operating costs and requires limited maintenance. It could also benefit those people who live in rural communities.
2. It is environmental friendly because the researchers used recycled materials and it doesn’t harm the environment. A small scale hydro generator can be built at home without building a dam.
4. Yes. It can produce enough electricity for the light bulb to function. It can supply power to the light bulb because it can emit a sufficient amount of electricity for it to light up.
3. It is effective because it can supply sufficient amount of electricity and can make a device function.
The researchers aim to produce an improvised hydro generator.
2 illustration board plates
Assemble the parts (fan blade,copper coils,magnets,PVC pipe,illustration board plates,bolt,nut,wood stopper)
Drill the wood stopper
Initial Testing (run the water through the fan blades)
Final Testing (connect the light bulb)
THe researchers will randomly choose 20 students of OLMS
Figure 1: Theoretical Framework
The researchers assembled the parts accordingly to their function. The fan blade should be attached to the edge of the PVC pipe. Place the magnets on the illustration board plate then place it on the other edge of the PVC pipe opposite to the fan blade. Coil the copper coils then place it on the illustration board plate. Attach the wires to the light
bulb. Use running water from the faucet to test if the product is working when the light bulb lights up. If the product is already ready, the researchers will conduct a survey.
Definition of Terms
1. assemble- to bring together or merge
2. coil- to roll or twist
3. drilling- to bore or drive a hole in; to make by piercing action
4. ecstasy- extreme happiness or euphoria
5. emit- to give off
6. evidently- obviously
7. generate- to bring into existence
8. generator- a machine by which mechanical energy is changed into electrical energy
9. hindrance- to make slow or difficult progress
10. improvise- to make or fabricate out of what is conveniently on hand
11. intensifying- grow stronger or more acute
12. sufficient- enough to meet the needs
Review of Related Studies and Related Literature
Review of Related Studies
Generators are useful appliances that supply electrical power during a power outage and prevent discontinuity of daily activities or disruption of business operations. Generators are available in different electrical and physical configurations for use in different applications. In the following sections, we will look at how a generator functions, the main components of a generator, and how a generator operates as a secondary source of electrical power in residential and industrial applications.
As the most reliable renewable energy, hydropower energy is widely used throughout the world. Hydroelectric power captures the energy released from falling water. In the most simplistic terms, waterfalls due to gravity, this causes kinetic energy to be converted into mechanical energy which in turn can be converted into a useable form of electrical energy by the water turbine and generator. Hydroelectric power plants are categorized according to size. They fit into one of four different size ranges: Micro, Mini, Small, and Large. A Micro sized plant is one that generates less than 100 kW of electricity and would typically be used to power 1-2 houses. A Mini facility cans serve an isolated community or a small factory by generating 100kW-1MW of electricity. A Small plant generates 1MW-30MW and can serve an area while supplying electricity to the regional grid. Lastly, a large facility generates more than 30MW of power. There have two major types of hydroelectric, impounded type and diversion type. An impoundment hydroelectric, typically a large hydropower system, uses a dam to store river water in a reservoir. Water released from the reservoir flows through a turbine, spinning it, which in turn activates a generator to produce electricity.
These are the following materials/tools that the researchers used.
1. Gather all the needed materials.
2. Get a piece of wood and shape it into a PVC pipe. Make sure that it fits inside the PVC Pipe
3. Drill the wood stopper in the middle where the bolt would be placed. Make sure that the bolt will fit.
4. Attach the fan blade into the bolt and use the nut to fasten it.
5. Cut the copper coils then coil it to something round like a medicine bottle then fold it in half or make a round shape and secure it with a small piece of electrical tape.
6. Lay the coils loosely on the disk. Arrange the coils so their windings alternate between clockwise and counterclockwise.
7. Arrange and connect the coils so that an electron would follow the path starting with the counterclockwise coil on the left hand side.
8. When you are sure you have them arranged correctly, connect the coils by twisting the bared ends together, covering the connections with small pieces of electrical tape.
9. Warm up your glue gun and prepare to attach the magnets into the plate. The magnets must be arranged so that their polarity alternates.
10. Attach the plate where the magnets are placed into the PVC pipe then connect it to the fan blade using a barbeque stick. The fan blade and the plate must rotate together.
11. Attach the last plate where the copper coils are placed a couple of spaces away from the plate that contains the magnets. Make sure that they don’t touch and the magnets and copper coils face each other. Make sure that the plate with copper coils is stationary.
Data Gathering Procedure
The researchers had their survey at Our Lady of Mercy School of Quezon City. The researchers showed the randomly selected respondents how to use the product and how it functions. After demonstrating it, the researchers handed out the survey forms that will be answered by the respondents. Then, the researchers collected the survey forms in order for them to analyze and rethink their different recommendations. Lastly, the researchers came up with their conclusion.
The researchers queried 20 randomly selected students of Our Lady of Mercy School of Quezon City and asked them to rate the product from scale 1-5. 5 - excellent, 4 – very good, 3 – good, 2 – nice and 1 – needs improvement.
Analysis and Evaluation of Results
This chapter provides a graphical representation about the results of the survey conducted. The researchers provided a table and a graph to show the results.
Produce enough electricity
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
This chapter shows the final analysis of the researchers about the Improvised Hydro Generator.
Summary of the Study
Most of the respondents were pleased and satisfied to the product and some were not. However, the researchers were able to meet its goal to produce an improvised hydro generator. There are still things that the researchers needed to improve on future studies.
Based on the procedures, the researchers were able to conclude that improvised hydro generator can be produced out of scrap materials. The product was effective. Its quality is acceptable. Also, this study can help people to make new things out of old or scrap materials that are usually thrown.
In line with the foregoing conclusion made by the researchers, the following recommendations are set forth to other researchers in want of further studies about improvised hydro generator. The researchers recommend to use strong magnets so that the electricity that it can produce will be stronger. The researchers also recommend this research as a reference to those students who would like to work on a similar study. The researchers also recommend further exploration and analysis, and more research on different procedures. Further study regarding the research is also recommended to obtain more useful information and to have a better product.