Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Hinduism & Roma (Gypsy) Religion
bianca floreson 24 September 2012
Transcript of Hinduism & Roma (Gypsy) Religion
2.All human beings are divine
3. Unity of existence through love
4. Religious Harmony
5. Knowledge of 3 G's: Gangal (sacred river) Gita (sacred script) and Gayatri (sacred mantra) 5 Principle of Hinduism 10 disciplines Hindus believe that it is the responsibility of each individual to continue the Hindu race so after a couple is married the prayer "Garbhadana" (conception) is recited for fulfillment of ones parental obligations.
Head shaving is connected to the removal of impurities
A red mark on the forehead made by red kumkum powder symbolizes a third eye that represents their inner wisdom Hindu Rituals 1.Truth
3. Celibacy, Non-Adultery
4. No desire to possess or steal
8. Reading of Scripture
9. Perseverance, Penance
10. Regular Prayer Woman have the same religious & spiritual freedoms as men. Neither is woman superior to man, nor is man superior to woman. "Perfect halves to make perfect hole". Woman Hinduism spread as a result of Hindu Kings conquering non-Hindu lands, colonization and globalization, and in modern time it spread due to westerners adopting and converting to Hindu beliefs. How did Hinduism spread? The main Hindu texts are Vedas and subscripts based on these Vedas. Many scriptures discuss Dharma which is rendered as a code of conduct, law, or duty. Religious Texts Roma originated from the east in mid-ninth century from North India and migrated westward. Gypsies base their religious practices around their host country sometime which include the religions Hinduism with either Christianity or Islam. Roma (Gypsy) Origin Amulets & Talismans Talismans are man made objects charged with magical power by a gypsy spell-casters. In Gypsy lore, an amulet is an item from nature charged with magical power. Typical amulets are stones with holes through them or a rabbits foot. Romas believe in people being polluted and unbalanced. They travel in caravans and believe in universal balance called kuntari. Roma's worship a god through female consort and use their surrounding host culture religion for ceremonies like baptisms and funerals in which they need formal religious institution. Roma beliefs Gypsies believe children are born into a world of powerful forces both good and evil and so they baptize their children as soon as possible with salt water.
Vlach Roma and others celebrate the holidays of the various countries they live in like Christmas and Easter. Gypsies Children & Holidays After death there is a one year mourning period called Pomana with feasts for the dead held every 3 months
Roma believe that only the Gypsy dead become vampires and so have no fear of the spirits of the non-gypsy dead.
In Gypsies religion, witches are women with special knowledge and power that is used for good or bad according to circumstances.
some Gypsies also believe that people who have led an evil life will become Werewolves. Mythical Beliefs & Death Roma girls do not date & must be chaperones outside the home.
Boys are allowed to go to dances and socialize with non-Roma teenagers unlike girls.
The body above the waist is considered clean while below the waist is considered polluted.
Clothing above the waist and below the waist must be washed separately and men and womens clothing cannot be washed together.
There are no Roma priest, churches, or bibles Roma Society Hinduism has three main deities
stable religion with specific values
Believe in knowledge they both believe in equality
believe in the same religious foundation Gypsies believe in Magic
Do not have a specific religion, its more like a bunch of religions combined
their children dont stay in school very long, they instead start working with elders Hinduism Roma (Gypsies http://www.religioustolerance.org/roma2.htm
http://hinduism.about.com/od/basics/a/principles.htm Work Cited