Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
There is and There are with Prepositions (#247)
Transcript of There is and There are with Prepositions (#247)
to this online lesson.
My name is Lily Cardoso.
I live in
I'm an English teacher for
To learn about the use of ‘there is’ and ‘there are’ with prepositions and how to structure a sentence using them.
‘There is’ and ‘there are’ are very common phrases in the English language.
We use ‘there is’ when using the singular.
a dog in the park.
a big theater at the corner.
a book on the table.
We use ‘there are’ when we are using the plural.
three cats in the cup.
many monkeys in the tree.
two lamps on the nightstand
As you can see the rule is as follows:
When we are using ‘there is’ or ‘there are’ we also have to use prepositions in our sentences.
Prepositions help us identify the place of an object.
the fruit bowl.
Let’s look at the prepositions in sentences.
There are two cats
is the preposition).
There is a dog
is the preposition)
These are some common prepositions:
There is a boy playing
There are two baskets
There are some presents
I. Choose 'is' or 'are'
1. There (is are) a pencil on the book.
2. There (is are) kids in the bus.
3. There (is are) a cat beside my dog.
4. There (is are) a ball under the table.
5. There (is are) many trees in the forest.
II. Look at the picture and complete the sentences with the correct preposition.
1. There is a cat ________ the sofa.
2. There is a dog ________ the sofa.
3. There is a book ________ the fish bowl and the sofa.
4. There is a fish ________ the water.
5. There is a ball ________ the table.
Today we have learned the use of ‘there is’ and ‘there are’ and how to use them with prepositions.