Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
"FACT AND OPINION"
Transcript of "FACT AND OPINION"
WHAT IS FACT?
WHAT IS OPINION?
Southern (2003) defined facts as information that can be verified. these are based from direct experience and observation. Moreover, these usually involve specific information such as numbers, dates, time and other statistics as well as names of people, places or events.
SOMETHING THAT CAN BE PROVEN
On the other hand, opinions are statements that convey beliefs, feelings, judgements, attitudes and preferences. Unlike, facts, opinions cannot be verified because these are based on one's perception.
AN OPINION IS WHAT SOMEONE THINKS, FEELS OR BELIEVES
RECOGNIZING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FACTS AND OPINIONS AND THEIR USES
WHAT IS A FACT? what is an opinion?
how are they used?
Every man has a right to be wrong in his opinions.
but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts
-Bernard M baruch
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FACT AND OPINION
prof. ernie john i. gabriel
Bai faridah jamil
Mikah ellah angela m. lim
Lacea, mary jo
ENGLISH102 : Interactive reading
class period: 2:30-3:30
EXAMPLES of fact and opinion:
SNAKES ARE REPTILES
the dog is cute
the girl has beautiful hair
emilio aguinaldo was the first president in the philippines
turtles have a hard shell
Everyone should play basketball.
SEPARATING FACT FROM OPINION
FACT: spinach is a source of iron
OPINION: spinach tastes awful
CAn be verified
presented with unbiased words
"spinach is a source of iron"
can not be verified\presented with value words
"SPINACH TAsTES AWFUL"
Some clues : used in opinions
(and other words which relate or compare the subject to something else are often used in stating opinions)
Indicator: that the statement is an opinion
if it uses qualifying words and phrases such as:
quite a few
11. Which of the following best describes a fact?
a. The feelings of the main character
b. Something that can be proven.
c. Something that can't be proven
d. How much the main character likes something.
12. Which of the following best describes an opinion?
a. A person who can prove something
b. Making a good choice
c. A person's thoughts or feelings about something
d. Something that can be proven
IDENTIFICATION: FACT OR OPINION
1. Mr. Jones has two sons and one daughter.
2. That picture is by Rembrandt.
3. Her house is really beautiful.
4. My friend has six fingers on one hand.
5. That boy is the nicest person in the school.
6. The group will stop in Denver overnight.
7. L. Frank Baum wrote "The Wizard of Oz".
8. I will finish before the rest of the class.
9. The Bulls are better than the Knicks.
10. Nine plus one equals ten.
13. Which of the following is an opinion?
a. Todd is wearing a blue tie.
b. Gary was unhappy that his team lost.
c. Sheila woke up at 7:30 in the morning
d. Jose won the race at field day.
14. Which of the following is a fact?
a. I'm the smartest student in the fifth grade
b. I received a 98% on the reading test
c. Reading is very easy
d. Gary Paulsen is my favorite author.
Andrew's mother and father unloaded the van after the family returned from the soccer tournament. Andrew was exhausted from playing in all eight games over the weekend. Andrew wasn't helping, because he ran inside the house to call his grandparents to tell them about the games. He had won a trophy for being the most valuable player, and his team had won all of their games. He scored at least two goals in each of the games. He was extremely excited.
15.Which of these sentences is an opinion stated in the paragraph?
a. Andrew was exhausted, but excited about the tournament.
b. Andrew's parents unloaded the van after the tournament.
c. Andrew called his grandparents to tell them about the tournament.
d. Andrew's team won the tournament