Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
MGMT 3303 - Ch. 1
Transcript of MGMT 3303 - Ch. 1
Dr. Laura Guerrero
What is a manager?
What do managers do?
In groups, explain and give examples:
(5) interpersonal roles
(figurehead, leader, liaison)
(6) informational roles
(monitor, disseminator, spokesperson)
(7) decisional roles
(entrepreneur, disturbance handler, resource allocator, negotiator)
(8) technical, human and conceptual skills
What is organizational behavior?
field of study
that investigates the impact that
individuals, groups, and structure
have on behavior
, for the purpose of applying such knowledge toward
improving an organization's effectiveness
What is evidence-based management?
How does it apply to you as a student?
... as a manager?
In groups, explain CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES for OB:
(1) responding to economic pressures
(2) responding to globalization
(2) managing workforce diversity
(3) improving customer service
(3) improving people skills
(4) stimulating innovation and change
(5) coping with temporariness
(6) working in networked organizations
(7) helping employees balance work-life conflicts
(7) creating a positive work environment
(8) improving ethical behavior
In groups explain and give examples:
(1) Attitudes and stress
(2) Task performance
(3) Citizenship behavior
(4) Withdrawal behavior
(5) Group cohesion
(6) Group functioning
True or false.
1. Brainstorming in a group is more effective than brainstorming alone. _____
2. The first five minutes of a negotiation are just a warm-up to the actual negotiation and don’t matter much. _____
3. The best way to help people reach their goals is to tell them to do their best. _____
4. If you pay people to do a task they routinely enjoy, they’ll do it even more often in the future. _____
5. Pay is a major determinant of how hard someone will work. _____
6. If people fail the first time, they try harder the next time. _____
7. People perform better if goals are easier. _____
8. Most people within organizations make effective decisions. _____
9. Positive people are more likely to withdraw from their jobs when they are dissatisfied. _____
10. Teams with one smart person outperform teams where everyone is average in intelligence. ______
Written assignment (due in class):
Design a simple study to answer a question about organizational behavior
Basic OB Model