Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Byrne Creek's Journey to Community School Status
Transcript of Byrne Creek's Journey to Community School Status
towards Community School Status
An Introduction to Burnaby's Community School Model
To use the Burnaby School District's Community School Model and create a secondary school adaptation of this model to best support the health of the overall community.
The Overarching Goals of
Byrne Creek's 3 year Pilot
All steps have been deliberate, thoughtful, and responsive to community needs, with sustainability as the overarching goal.
The Four Focus Goals of Byrne's Pilot Project
The Six Goals of Burnaby’s Community Schools
To use the school and other neighbourhood resources and facilities more effectively for desired community programs
To strengthen the existing school curriculum and programs through greater involvement and use of available human, physical and financial resources
To develop a variety of educational, recreational, cultural and social opportunities for children, youth, and adults in response to needs defined by the community
To build community capacity as residents become involved in community activities, services and issues
To strengthen communications and engagement within the community
To facilitate interagency coordination, cooperation and collaboration
Family Support Services
Community Use of Facilities
After School and Summer Programs
Integrated Services with Agencies
Some examples of After school Programs at Byrne Creek:
Friends of Simon
Stream of Dreams
KRIB-Gym Drop In
Donate time, money, resources
Connect and refer
The key to success is partnership development.
Sharing information and resources, and connecting people
Examples of Use:
After school workshops and activities
Capilano University - Justice High
Parent activities, workshops, groups
Y.E.S. (Young Eritreans Standing for Hope)
National Black Women's Congress Family Day
Afghan Soccer Tournament
The Community School Coordinator position was created to further layer healthy supports, programming and opportunities for students and families not presently available at Byrne Creek.
1. What is working well at Byrne Creek?
2. What are the challenges you envision as we transition into a Community School?
3. How do you see your role as a Community School teacher?
4. How do you see your role changing?
5. What are the advantages of being a
6. What supports do you need from the admin team?