Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PWA PD - Cascading Curriculum
Transcript of PWA PD - Cascading Curriculum
Concept Development /
Cascading Curriculum Model
research from Garfield Gini-Newman
"One of the principles of adult learning is that you should learn something when you have a reason to learn it."
"The future of learning is to add a new dimension of learning – which is collaboration"
"A five year old today, by the time they are twenty five years old, it will be 2031. Can anyone today say they are preparing a child for what it will be like in 2031?"
"An essential curriculum
Information Search and Retreaval Skills
Teach them how to believe (arm against doctrine)"
What say you?
Cascading Curriculum Model of Instruction
Group the following items into two groups. One that is an example of a concept, the other is not.
Concepts - what do we mean?
Is this a concept?
In your group - create a working definition of a concept.
One strategy to increasing student engagement is to pose a "transcendent question"at the beginning of a concept and use the task to drive the learning.
This transcendent question should connect to the larger curricular outcome.
The cascading curriculum model essentially creates a "back map" in the formation of your unit plan
What do we exactly mean by concepts?
One take on the Cascading Curriculum Model
1. Critique the Piece
2. Judge Better and Best
3. Rework the Piece
4. Decode the puzzle
5. Design the Specs
6. Perform the Specs
Six Simple Ways to Tweek your task to a Critical Challenge:
Where does the
Cascading curriculum Model
come into play?
1. Pick a course you would like to build a unit plan for (this could be a course you want to incorporate project based learning in)
2. Join like-minded colleagues who will work on the same course & task; or the same course.
3. From your curriculum documents, determine which concept would lend itself the best to this model of instruction (Judge the Better and Best)
4. Build a transcendent Question / with coordinating curricular outcomes (Design the Spect)
5. Determine the topics and critical challenges required to facilitate the student answering your transcendent question.
Design the Cascading Curriculum Model for the concept you choose to determine if this model is something that will work in the BIG PICTURE. Ultimately, the goal is to try this in our classrooms to see HOW the students will respond (Preform the Specs)
PWA PD Plan 2012-2013
Over the three PD days we have together, we will tweek and refine our model to build a tool that can be used in your classes.
Highly recommend that your group choose the same course/project whenever possible.
Grade 9 teachers may want to use this model in implementing the cross curricular project
CTS Course can use this model to plan/implement an entire module.
Transcendent/ Essential Question
Is the inherent structure of our classrooms lending itself to the highest form of student engagement possible?
Bloom's Taxonomy as a jump point for critical challenges ...