Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Travel the Globe with the Click of the Mouse: Incorporating Google Earth and Google Maps into the classroom
Transcript of Travel the Globe with the Click of the Mouse: Incorporating Google Earth and Google Maps into the classroom
Level up: Google Maps and Earth at
It provides a number of annotated links to different Google Maps and Google Earth resources you can use.
Here's a lesson plan you could use with 1st graders: It also helps students develop: Map Skills Or, if you want a more versatile lesson try this one: Note: you can adapt this for any grade If you like Google Maps you must try Google Earth Google Earth: An interactive three dimensional model of the Earth You can explore and manipulate a two dimensional map of Earth.
Take Kids on virtual tours to see places they can't visit!
Choose any location and try zooming in as far as you can go. Williamsburg But how else can you use it? It's a simple and easy way to incorporate technology into the classroom to fulfill the following SOLs:
1. C/T K-2.7The student will use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
* Use technology tools for individual writing, communication, and publishing activities.
2. C/T 3-5.8 The student will use a variety of media and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences.
* Produce documents demonstrating the ability to edit, reformat, and integrate various software tools.
* Use technology tools for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities.
* Use telecommunication tools to communicate and share information with others.
3. C/T6-8.2The student will demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology.
* Use self-help features such as online tutorials and manuals to learn to use hardware and software. Incorporate geography into students research by having them design a google map that demonstrates what they have learned!
Allow students to use google maps (made by yourself or others) to research any number of topics from ocean currents to civil war battles! PS: it even lists some of the SOL's that go along with them Use the following google map I created to have students research different habiatats across the globe.:
Note: It's probably best to teach a lesson about the habitats before starting this project
Familiarity with the contients (getting them ready for second grade; SOL 2.5 The student will develop map skills by
a)locating the equator, the seven continents, and the five oceans on maps and globes) All while allowing the students to learn about aniamls and their habitats
(SOL 1.5 The student will investigate and understand that animals, including people, have life needs and specific physical characteristics and can be classified according to certain characteristics. Key concepts include other characteristics (wild/tame, water homes/land homes)) Have the students locate different habitats using the Google Map. Ask them to to record these locations along with the animals that live in these habitats in their science journals or on a worksheet you have designed. If you want you can even have the students research their own animals and add them to the maps. Have students research their favorite authors. Then complie a class google map that shows the birth place of each author and contains a brief biography of the person and/or a synopsis of the book the student read.
You can change the content in the google map based on the students grade level. For instance with third graders you can use this lesson to teach about writing for a particular audience (SOL 3.9) Students can use this during the rest of the year to help them locate possible books/authors they would be interested in. Note: Students can continue to add authors to the map as they read. Note: To use this you will have to download some software, but it's well worth it. This is a great tool for iluustrating complicated concepts like climate change or deforestation It also can be used to teach more simple concepts like the location of the continents (SOL 2.) or Longitude and Latitude Check out some of these educational Google Earth videos: Here's a lesson plan I designed to work with Google Earth: Show students the this video:
Discuss how the video shows each of the continents and major oceans on the globe.
Let the students explore a google Earth file you have made that marks each of the contients. The students can then assess their own knowledge by identifying the continents using a similar Google Earth file which locates, but does not name each location. Note: This activity addresses SOL:
2.5 The student will develop map skills by
a)locating the equator, the seven continents, and the five oceans on maps and globes; U USI.1The student will demonstrate skills for historical and geographical analysis and responsible citizenship, including the ability to:
g)distinguish between parallels of latitude and meridians of longitude Science 4.7 The student will investigate and understand the organization of the solar system. Key concepts include
a) the planets in the solar system
b) the order of the planets in the solar systems So think about bring Google Maps and Google Earth into your classroom today.
It’s like you’ve got the whole world in your hand. Think about bring Google Maps and Google Earth into your classroom today.
It’s like you’ve got the whole world in your hand. Resources: Youtube
Virginia SOLs: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/sol/standards_docs/index.shtml
For more detailed information check out the diigo list
Level up: Google Maps and Earth at