Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of 7th Amendment
Doctor fought jury trial and lost
The 7th Amendment
"In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars ,the right of trial by jury shall be preserved ,and no fact tried by a jury ,shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the united states,than according to the rulers of the common law."
In My Own Words
It allows the right to have a trial by jury for certain civil cases. It also states that courts can't overturn a jury's evidence (finding of facts).
The amendment was first introduced in 1789 by James Madison in congress. Congress revised it and on September 28,1789 it was proposed. By December 15,1791 75% of the states approved of it, and it was officially adopted on March 1,1792.
Dr.Morris Kinast is being tried for the suicide of 11-year old Christian Berry IN 2009. Dr.Kinast prescribed the boy a certain medication that led to suicidal thoughts in 2007. Two years later the boy died and his family filed for a civil suit. Kinast lawyers demanded a jury trial ,but didn't pay the fee within the 5 day requirement so he lost the trial.