Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Suicide Prevention Job Aid
Transcript of Suicide Prevention Job Aid
“People are in a state of crisis when they face an obstacle to important life goals—and obstacle that is, for a time, insurmountable by the use of customary methods of problem solving.” --Caplan, 1961
“…an upset in equilibrium at the failure of one’s traditional problem-solving approach which results in disorganization, hopelessness, sadness, confusion, and panic.” --Lillibridge and Klukken, 1978
“…crisis is a perception or experience of an event or situation as an intolerable difficulty that exceeds the person’s current resources and coping mechanisms.” --James and Gilliland, 2001
What is Crisis .(2014). Retrieved from. http://psychology.about.com/od/crisiscounseling/f/crisis-counsel.htm
Community Partnership. (2013). Retrieved from. http://www.cpsaarizona.org/ourservices/treatmentservices/pages/crisis-intervention-services.aspx
Find a psychologist. (2014). Retrieved from. http://www.findapsychologist.org/suicide-2/
Greenwald, B. (2014). Loneliness Depression and suicide. Retrieved from. http://www.uic.edu/orgs/convening/depress.htm
Suicide.org. (2014). Retrieved from. http://www.suicide-myths.html
Unitypoint Health. (2014). Retrieved from. https://www.unitypoint.org/quadcities/servoces-inpatient-mental-health-servics.aspx
Define the clients situation
Listening to the client
Empathize (acceptance and support)
Ensure client safety, both physically and psychologically.
Provided with information
Understand their reactions
Listening to client/empathize
Developing coping skills
Community based services
- Travel to individuals place of crisis, (stabalize, evaluate and plan treatment needs).
- Hotline (Evaluation, referral, support, follow up.)
- Facility based( Listen, face to face contact, communication, help develop social skills, goals etc.)
• Previous attempts are a strong predictor of suicide.
• Drug and alcohol abuse can play a role in suicide.
• Major life event can be risk factors.
• School failure, unemployment etc.
• Mental illnesses can also enable these thoughts. For example schizophrenia, eating disorders also carry an increased risk of suicide.
Suicide Prevention Job Aid
April 23, 2014
Dr. Christina James
• Myth: People who threaten suicide never go through with it.
• Myth: Suicide does not affect young people.
• Myth: Suicide does not affect the elderly.
• Myth: Nothing can stop a person determined to commit suicide.
• Myth: People who commit suicide didn't want to get help.
People who commit suicide suffer from a depressive illness, and often times need guidance to deal with the pain.
Myth or fact?
People who try to commit suicide are crazy, weak minded and just want attention.
"Recent Studies show that every 14 minutes a person commits suicide. It is the tenth leading cause of death in the United States."