Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
A Mercy Characters
Transcript of A Mercy Characters
- Slave owned by Senhor D’Ortega by birth
- Finishes the novel at age 16
- "Minha Mae" means Mother.
- Was seen as a replacement for Rebecca, or so Jacob Vaark thought...
- Favorite moment:
"I bare my teeth to bite into you, to tear you open Florens - Gets involved in slave trade
- Trades a slave for his debt, Florens
- Awful with money and can't pay Jacob Vaark
- Favorite moment:
"D'Ortega lifted an eyebrow, just one, as though on its curve an empire rested." Senhor D’Ortega - Free white man from England who comes to America as an Agent of the Dutch West Indies Company trading fur and lumber.
- Becomes a farmer after inheriting land
- Doesn't like slavery and thinks its "the most wretched business"
- Husband to Rebekka
- Favorite Moment
"Jacob Vaark climbed out of his grave to visit his beautiful house."
Jacob Vaark - chose to be a wife, saw her other options as servant or prostitute.
- Insulted that Jacob brought Florens as a replacement
- Almost dies of small pox and is taken care of by Lina, cured by the blacksmith
"Shallow believers prefer a shallow god." Rebekka - Native American whose tribe dies of small pox
- Takes care of Florens like a big sister
- Knowledge of farming helps them survive
- Very suspicious of Sorrow
"Killing trees in that number, without asking their permission, of course his efforts would stir up malfortune."
Lina - Found shipwrecked, lived on the sea mostly before found pregnant.
- talks to herself, (Twin)
- very odd, after second baby is born Twin disappears and her new name is Complete
"Then she flushed with pleasure at the thought of a real person, a person of her own, growing inside her." Sorrow Willard and Scully - Indentured white servants who work and see all of this going on.
The Company - Refers to the Dutch West India Company who Jacob worked for
Anabaptist - believed in a sort of conscious baptism of God so as a result Rebekka was upset that they didst baptized her baby Patricia.
The Blacksmith - a free blackman whos a blacksmith and knows about medicine. Other Characters...