Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of New Literacies
A blog is a web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer.
Links with commentary
Meta blog services
Types of Blogs
Podcasting and videocasting differ from blogging in that they are designed to meet the principle of "where I want it, when I want it" (Lankshear & Knobel, p. 173-174).
We have been charged with bringing 21st century teaching to our students. The world our students occupy is tremendously different from the world we inherited from our parents. We inhabit a space where the dissemination of information is swift and sometimes overwhelming. As we grapple with the questions of how to educate our students AND hold their attention, we must also reconsider the views we hold about literacy.
Today's students have access to devices, which have increasingly powerful multimedia, social networking, and communication capabilities, and consequently, mobile learning (m-learning) offers numerous opportunities as well as challenges in education.
1. Rheingold's view of a new digital divide which separates those who know how to use the new media.
2. Formal learning will move more and more outside of the classroom.
3. Chris Bigum asserts that attempts to integrate computing and communications technologies into classrooms have been categorized by schools and school systems trying to find "educationally useful" ways to incorporate these new technologies.
Integrating Technology in the Classroom
Concerns: Pedagogy for I-Mode
The principle of efficacious learning
The principle of integrated learning
The principle of productive appropriation and extension in learning
The principle of critical learning
Memes: Big Bang Theory
An element of a culture or behavior that may be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, esp. imitation.
An image, video, etc. that is passed electronically from one Internet user to another.
Purpose of this Book according to the authors,
Lankshear and Knobel:
The authors remind us that the world has changed--so should the way you teach. We are not able to include every type of technology into our teaching but must embrace the new literacies!
1.New Literacies include the new skills, strategies, dispositions, and social practices that are required by new technologies for information and communication;
2.New Literacies are central to full participation in a global community;
3.New Literacies regularly change as their defining technologies change; and
4.New Literacies are multifaceted and our understanding of them benefits from multiple points of view.
According to Corio and others....
Where do we go from here?