Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Network Theory & ICT
Transcript of Network Theory & ICT
- accelerates and enhances the production of knowledge in a self-expanding, virtuous circle.
- information processing is the source of life and social action. Manuel Castells: "Theory of the Network Society" 2) We have moved "into a new economy that is informational, global and networked”
“Informational”: capacity to generate knowledge and process information as a determining factor for productivity and competitiveness
“Global”: quality of social groups to implement strategic choices and activities on a planetary scale in real time or chosen time
"Networked” : flexibility a social group has in information production. shift from vertically integrated hierarchies of social institutions to more flexible, subculture types of institutions, which allows for new and innovative means for reorganizing cultural expression Controlling the space of mediation = "cultural power" Manuel Castells: "Internet Galaxy" The production & diffusion of cultural codes & information content Management of symbolic production shapes the development of material reality Increased forms of communication creates greater avenues by which symbolic messages can be interpreted, evaluated and used The reshaping or formation of identities around a specific, community-based reality. Mainstream reality, is becoming fragmented into disparate, multi-varied forms, i.e. “interactive electronic communication networks of self-selected communes” Culture: "Unifying principle" that exhibits a voluntary construction of social norms & practices Alain Touraine: "Sociology Without Societies" Culture is being eroded away by globalization and technological advancements. "Technological and economic changes which have become independent from social institutions and value orientations." Two worlds: (1) Instrumentality (i.e. economics/technology) and (2) Identity "Cultural rights": individuals/groups attempting to combine the two worlds Technology has caused a rift between culture and those that live in it. Therefore, social movements based on politics/economies have been replaced with "cultural" movements A decentering of social life - structure has been surpassed by identity and collective behavior. Greater expansion of the means/modes for individuals and groups to engage others and define themselves on their own terms Social movements are comprised of entities that revolve around the struggle of identity and against the forces that seek to suppress these identities (i.e. governmental forces) Jurgen Habermas - "Theory of Communicative Action" Politico-economic system vs. the "lifeworld" "Functional rationality" vs. "communicative rationality" Social movements have shifted from older, capital-labor disputes to resistance of colonization of the lifeworld. Conflict exist at the "seam between the system and the lifeworld." What we should get vs. self-identity, livelihood and acoountability Case Study: "Narco-Propoganda" & ICTs President Felipe Calderon (2006) 50,000 deaths Propoganda : projected on behalf of sociopolitical groups/causes ---> socially important groups of people 1) spectacles of symbolic/orchestrated violence for public view
5) censorship of media "The blogosphere has been included in the media landscape that the cartels are looking at. Because up until now, it has only been traditional media - print, TV, radio" - Javier Garza, editor El Siglo de Torreon "We've seen an infiltration by criminal groups who use social media to spread rumors that can create mass psychosis" - Lionel Matamoros, Mexican journalist #nuevolaredo @Narcoreporter #Opcartel "Granular coercion" Image + control + ability to harm = legitimacy Creating alternate forms/systems of authority for "resource extraction" http://www.borderlandbeat.com/ http://www.blogdelnarco.com/