Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of James Madison
1. Embargo Act = hurting US ECONOMY
Conflict increased between US and
Embargo Act was repealed!
WAR of 1812
by the British
1. British attacks on
3. Conflict involving
in NW Territory
General William Henry
was territorial governor
and army commander
opposed US control
-formed a Confederacy to resist US settlement
group of Congressmen called
demanded war with Great Britain
* Leader was
US declared war on
opposed by the FEDERALIST party
War in Canada
War at Sea
Attack on DC
Battle of New Orleans
won against GB on the
led by Commander
Oliver Hazard Perry
kept US ships in port
British burned many buildings including
star spangled banner
written by Francis Scott Key
Treaty of Ghent
ended war between US and GB
"Second War for Independence"
End of the
Embargo Act hurting US economy
Why had the US created the
in the first place?
(kidnapping of Americans)
END OF THE WAR:
reopened trade btw US & GB
no land exchanged hands
last conflict EVER with GB
War Hawks wanted to invade and conquer CANADA
Most Important Battle:
(actually occurred after war officially ended)
EFFECT of War of 1812:
1. What is judicial review?
2. What was the impact of Marbury v. Madison on the power of the federal government?
3. How did Jefferson respond to continued attacks on US ships by France and GB?
4. Why did Jefferson offer to buy New Orleans?
5. What constitutional dilemma did the Louisiana Purchase present to Jefferson?
6. What did the US get in the Louisiana Purchase?
7. Who were Lewis and Clark?
Foreign Policy Timeline:
Your group will create a time line of Foreign Policy in the Federal Period 1789 - 1815.
All major foreign policy events, treaties, conflicts, etc. should be included from all of the presidents we have studied. Use the color code below as you create your timeline:
GREAT BRITAIN - RED
FRANCE - BLUE
SPAIN - PURPLE
NATIVE AMERICANS - GREEN
cut off all trade between the US and GB or France
Attacking US SHIPS
of the War of 1812
General Andrew Jackson
of the War of 1812
British had announced that they would attack any ship trading with FRANCE
US claimed right of NEUTRALITY ... to trade with any country (including France)
US saw this a a violation of our INDEPENDENCE from GB
Native American Weapons were supplied by ...