Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Relational Communication- A First Look
Transcript of Relational Communication- A First Look
A First Look
Relational communication defined
Subset of interpersonal communication
Focuses on message exchange in potentially close relationships
Relationships emerge across ongoing interactions
Relationships contextualize messages
Comm. sends a variety of relational messages
Relational comm. is dynamic
Relational comm. follows linear and nonlinear patterns
Interpersonal relationships defined:
Unique interaction patterns
Relationships in Our Lives
Three core needs provided:
Consists of V and NV messages
One cannot not communicate in face-to-face settings
Fulfill goals (self-presentation, relational, instrumental)
Comm. Varies in effectiveness
Content and relational info
Symmetrical or asymmetrical
"the study of communication through interpersonal space and distance"
- the notion of occupying, claiming, and maintaining territory for yourself.
"the study of movement in nonverbal communication"
"communication through touch"
"the study of the way we structure and the meaning we attach to time"
Our appearance and how we look communicates a lot about ourselves and our feelings to others
communication that is vocal but does not use words
pitch, verbal fillers, volume, speed, silence, etc.
"personal objects we use to announce our identities and heritage and to personalize our environments"
Fairly new field (1960's)
Why study relationships?