Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
State and Local Government
Transcript of State and Local Government
legislator? State and Local Legislatures Apportionment What was the Reapportionment Revolution? How do professional and citizen state legislatures differ? Compare the influence of committees and leaders in the state legislative lawmaking process What are term limits and
why are they a challenge to state legislatures? - Frustration
- Low salary
- Long hours
- councils are passive Why is membership turnover high on city councils? How are county governments organized? Districting Malapportionment Baker v. Carr Reynolds v. Sims Reapportionment Revolution refers to the one-person/one vote apportionment plan that the Supreme Court required for both houses of state legislature Professional Citizen Amount of time legislators spend on the job
Salary Legislators are Paid
Size of the legislature's staff Full-time job
Fairly high salary
Large staff Less than full-time
Small Staff Committees Leaders - Fate of bills - Gatekeepers
- Coalition builders
- Appointing legislators
to committees Commission-administrator Council-executive Commission - Both legislative and executive power
- Composed by three or five members elected by the voters