Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Time Management
Danielle Maxson Why So Important? We will always have too much to do
and too little time Our Ideal Image Of Time Management Harry Potter and Hermione reverse time Time Management Throughout History
1791: Benjamin Franklin's pursuit of "order"
1812: John Letts introduced world's first commercial diary
1841: Catherine Beecher & women's labor
1908: Henry Ford offers a more efficient way to travel Time Management DOs Tips on what you SHOULD do to have productive time management If you fail to plan, you plan to fail Time Management Donts History Continued... 1950s: Dwight Eisenhower means of productivity sparked public interest
1966: The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker
1970: Day-Timer ( scheduling system for the unorganized masses)
1989: World Wide Web
1990: The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People History Continued... 1993: PDA (personal digital assistant)
2002: Getting Things Done by David Allen
2007: The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferris
2011: "Hairwush" 1. Start day with high priority task 2. Learn personal prime energy cycles and do focused tasks during those times 3. Make time to plan (weekly or daily) 4. Create to-do lists, calendar, or other device 5. Determine priorities and place them in calendar accordingly 6. Create a time-log, change your habits 7. Create a workspace that supports your work style 8. Get rid of all distractions 9. Check before you commit 10. Commit and get it done! Tips on what NOT to do to ensure effective time management 1. Checking emails first thing in the morning
2. Working against your grain
3. Doing instead of planning
4. Keep things in your head
5. Spending too little time on the top priorities
6. Confusing activities with productivity
7. Disorganized work environment
8. Not handling interruptions effectively
9. Always saying "yes"
10. Efficiently doing things that don't NEED to be done Effects of Bad Time Management "Hesitation +Frustration = A Desperate Situation" a.k.a Procrastination Procrastination is the act of postponing the completion or the start of an essential task Why Do People Do It? What is Procrastination? Procrastination is a thing we learn not something we are born with
According to an article in “psychology today” there are “three basic types of procrastinators”
3.Decisional Procrastinators Procrastination and its effects... Procrastination can have a negative effect on 3 main aspects of your life. 1. Health
3. Employment Procrastination and how to overcome it... There are ways to overcome procrastination: 1. Make a list of tasks that you usually put on the back burner. 2. Break down complicated tasks into more manageable tasks. 3. Talk a task over with someone else. Real Life Examples "Chris" sought out help with time management advice after arriving late to his interview interviewer said they were not impressed with his tardiness - did not get job. Chris was late for an interview due to having so much on his plate and he forgot brother suggested a management consultant variety of time management lessons planning & prioritizing Real Life Example "Jennifer" overwhelmed with college life and activities began watching her friend who seemed to manage her time well over time she adopted her friend's way of managing time ( formed new habit) Time Management Techniques
In College Write your schedule down- when you organize your thoughts on paper
it’s easier to maintain your schedule. Take time to do things that you enjoy- hang out with friends, exercise, watch some TV. Multitasking is often not effective- Being focused on a single topic at a time is the best way to get it done. Effectively use down time between classes- A lot of time is lost if students don’t make use of their breaks between classes Time Management Techniques
In College Study as soon as can after you leave lecture Study at a regular time and place-
Routine is helpful when trying to maintain good study habits. Look at the bigger picture-
keep track of exam and project deadline dates so that you can be on top of things. the information will be fresh, and when you put it off there is more of a chance that you just won’t do it. Time Management Techniques
In College Double your time estimates
we often underestimate the time that we need for an activity. If you plan more time than you think you need, you won’t be as rushed. Prioritize
Get things done that need to be done first. Reward yourself for getting your stuff done
Plan something fun for yourself to be motivation to complete the project Determine the cause of your procrastination
if you procrastinate, try to figure out why this is happening. It may not be that you are putting off the whole paper, but only putting off the introduction. Time Management Techniques
In College Be Aware of how much time you are wasting Some of the top activities that we waste time doing: 1.) watching tv Based on a study conducted in 2007, this how much time americans spend watching tv each day Men watch an average of 4 hours and 35 minutes
Women watch an average of 5 hours and 14 minutes
Teens watch an average of 3 hours and 21 minutes
Children watch an average of 3 hours and 35 minutes 2.) Surfing the Internet
3.) Using gadgets (cellphones, video games, ipods)
4.) Sporting events
5.) Personal Appearance Have You Been Paying Attention? True/False: You should do less important things before you start on the most important items. FREE Helpful Time Management
Websites True/False: It is best to keep track of your things to do in your head. In what 3 ways can procrastination have an effect on your life? Evetnote (www.evernote.com) Remember The Milk (www.rememberthemilk.com) I Want Sandy (iwantsandy.com) collect, sync, search, archive, & share an efficient task manager serves as a personal assistant that you communicate with via email. Stickies ( www.zhornsoftware.co.uk.com) works like post-it notes but stickies sit on your PC desktop To Recap... Time management is an essential part of life - we'll always have different things on our plate to juggle.
There are ways to learn how to best manage your time.
You can beat procrastination BEFORE it strikes.
If you are a visual learner there are a variety of time management tools to help you along the way Sources Why Effectively Managing
Time is Important Juggle many different activities Unstructured environment critical to your academic & social success in college help you on the road to academic success in college, but will transfer into other areas of your professional and personal life Later On... Ability to obtain higher grades Learn important material applicable to future professions Impress potential employers or admissions officers at prestigious universities Name one tool to help you manage your time effectively. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/CTL/Student/studyskills/time_manage.pdf http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2006/12/10/10-tips-for-time-management-in-a-multitasking-world/) http://lsc.cornell.edu/Sidebars/Study_Skills_Resources/timemgmt.pdf http://web.duke.edu/arc/documents/Effective%20Time%20Management.pdf http://www.inc.com/ss/brief-history-time-management#0 www.youtube.com