Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Food Issues & Veganism
Transcript of Food Issues & Veganism
JR Twomey "Food deserts can be described as geographic areas where residents’ access to affordable, healthy food options (especially fresh fruits and vegetables) is restricted or nonexistent due to the absence of grocery stores within convenient traveling distance".
-Food Empowerment Project What is being done?
1. Making Healthy Choices
Improve the information and tools that parents need in order to make healthy choices
2. Healthier Food in School
Improve the quality of food in our schools because that's where kids
are eating the majority of their food
3. Access to Healthy and Affordable Food
Improve access and affordability
Eliminate food deserts
4. Increase Physical Activity
We need to keep them moving
They get famous athletes and organization to get the kids moving City of Inglewood
5 miles away from LMU
According to the 2010 U.S Census Bureau
· 43.9% African American
· 50.6 % Hispanic or Latino Origin
· 23.3% White
21% living below the poverty line Taste Test - Does not consume any meat, poultry, fish, dairy, or eggs.
- Does not use products tested on animal or made from animals. Definition of Veganism: A person who: Why do Women of Color Choose Veganism? - Animal Welfare 300 farm animals are slaughtered every second Roughly 300,000 people in the U.S. die from obesity related illnesses annually Better Health affordability Activism A. Breeze Harper -black feminist scholar and Vegan -the author of Sistah Vegan and owner of the online continuation of the book, takes from Queen Afua’s philosophies, but also takes into account the complexity of identity. Let's Move Campaign
First Lady, Michelle Obama Healthy food in Inglewood - Healthier Lifestyle African-American and Hispanic women have higher prevalence rates of high blood pressure, obesity, physical inactivity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome than white women. access adaptable for
ethnic foods CA Fresh Works Fund Committed 20 million dollars to Northgate Gonzalez Markets
To create 3 NEW locations in the cities of City Heights, South Central, and Inglewood
Heart disease is the number 1 killer of women
Coronary artery disease is the variety of heart disease most directly affected by people’s eating habits
African American women are at higher risk than Caucasian women
- Heart disease, diabetes,obesity
In the US is that the average person eats more than 200 pounds of "meat" each year Fast food in the U.S. has grown from a generating a revenue of $6 billion in 1970 to more than $170 billion today
The overall U.S. obesity rate has more than doubled since 1980
- More than two-thirds of adults now overweight or obese
Some companies target young consumers by ethnicity
In some low-income areas & communities of color, fast food franchises tend to cluster around schools
- “Obesogenic Environment” Food Justice: Communities of Color Communities of color have less access to healthy foods, safe places to play, & regular physical activity at school
Four times as many supermarkets in predominantly white neighborhoods compared to predominantly black ones
"Because of increasing rates of obesity, unhealthy eating habits & physical inactivity, we may see the first generation that will have a shorter life expectancy than their parents"
- U.S. Surgeon Gen. Richard Carmona Who does it affect? It affects predominately families of color or communities of low-income
3 ways in which they are unable to acquire healthy food (as discussed in class)
Zoning no harm to animals American Dietetic Association
Mandela Marketplace Solutions Organizations Government Federal, state, and city governments enacting legislation & policies Restaurants Supermarkets The Reality Narrative From a Vegan "It uncomplicated food to it's purest form making me feel good about what is going into my body..."