Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ATTITUDINAL FUNCTION OF INTONATION
Transcript of ATTITUDINAL FUNCTION OF INTONATION
How to express a certain attitude ?
4 Types of Attitudinal Intonation :
Allow us to express :
finality - confidence - interest - surprise -
doubt - joy - pain - irony - anger - boredom and so on.
Intonation enables the speaker to express emotions and attitudes
which adds a special meaning to spoken language as a difference from its written counterpart.
- Different voice qualities for different attitudes.
- Different pitch range in different ways.
- Different keys: high key, mid key or low key.
- One may use different facial expressions, gestures and body movements.
Fall - rise intonation
Rise - fall intonation
SAY HELLO TO :
A friend you meet regularly.
A friend you haven’t seen for a long time.
A neighbour you don’t like.
A 6 month old baby.
It can express a number of various emotions, such as : non-finality, surprise, doubt,interest, politeness, lack of confidence.
- This tone conveys an impression that something more is to follow.
"I phoned them".
(but they were not at home)
"I have to leave now".
(because I am getting late)
- It can be used while making general questions:
Was she glad to SEE him?
Can you help ME ?
Is it OVER ?
- This tone can be used while listing things:
- Red, brown, yellow, green, and BLUE.
- Oranges, bananas, mangoes and APPLES.
If someone is asked a question and the reply is yes or no, it will be understood that the question is now answered and that there is nothing more to be said. Thus the falling tone gives an impression of
- Statements (declarative sentences):
- Special questions : "Where do you
- Commands ( imperative sentences ):
"We live in
- Exclamatory sentences :
"What a wonderful
Fall - Rise Tone
This tone shows limited agreement, response with reservation, uncertainty, or doubt
- You may be
- He may be
- It can be
Rise - fall tone
This tone is used to convey strong feelings of approval, disapproval or surprise.
- You were
- He is
- Attitude is not conveyed by pitch alone. There's more to context than just pitch.
- Variables include :
placing in voice range - tempo - loudness - lip setting, etc..