Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of James Derham
black physician. Who is James Derham? He was never professionally trained at a
medical school. ? HOWEVER... By age 21, he was a “distinguished surgeon”.
Southern aristocrats personally sought his practice
He spoke fluent English, French, and Spanish ? ? He was born
into slavery. HOWEVER... He was sold to surgeon, Dr. Robert Love in New Orleans in 1788
Under Love’s ownership he worked as a medical assistant and an apothecary
In 1783, he bought his freedom to pursue a career in the medical field ? He established success on his own. HOWEVER... ? ? ? Dr. Benjamin Rush, the father of American medicine was impressed by Derham’s abilities when they met in Philadelphia.
Rush convinced James to move his business to Philadelphia.
“I conversed with him on medicine and surgery and found him learned. I thought I could give him information concerning the treatment of disease, but I learned more from him than he could expect from me.” -Dr. Benjamin Rush ? ?
? THIS IS