Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Australopithecus Robustus
- Males were on average 4 feet 4 inches and 92 pounds. Females 3 feet 7 inches and 71 pounds.
500-600 cc cranial
Aust. Robustus are considered to be omnivorous, though their thick enamel, large mandibles and bone structure that supports jaw strength, show they had the capacity to eat roots and harder vegetation. Researchers have also found animal proteins and evidence of frugivory diets and insectivory diets. "The P. Robustus microwear complexity distribution suggests that individuals ate hard objects only on occasion...falling back on lower-quality, tough foods during times when preferred soft, sugar-rich items are unavailable," (Spoonheimer &
Ungar, 2011, p.193).
"Some scientists think that the
robust australopithecines are so different that they should be placed in their own genus,
...these species share an adaptive plateau that separates them from other related species. Proponents of the use of
argue that the specialized chewing apparatus of the robustus is evidence of such an adaptive plateau," (Stanford, Allen
& Anton, p. 330-331).
Found in 1938 in Kromdraai, South Africa. Remains included skull fragments, teeth, and skeleton fragments.
- found in 1994 in the Drimolen cave site in South Africa. A nearly complete skull.
also found in 1994 at the same site. A lower jaw resting close to Eurydice.
Some scientists believe that
the Aust. Robustus' diet was
what led them to extinction in
the Pleistocene when Africa's climate became dryer and more seasonal. However, Spoonhiemer believes it could be due to a slower reproductive rate than the up and coming Homo. "One thing I do believe is that we need to seriously re-think the reason behind the ultimate fate of Paranthropus," said Sponheimer. "This 'who done it' or 'what done it' mystery is not likely to be resolved any time soon."
My Remodel of Paranthropus