Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
St.Augustine - circa A.D. (Christian Justice/City of God)
Transcript of St.Augustine - circa A.D. (Christian Justice/City of God)
St. Augustine of Hippo lived from 354-430. He was a theological genius. Among all theologians he was one of the first philosophers of past centuries and modern times. Augustine was a Bishop of a third rate city, he had a lot of control over politics and every system of law that was past was based on Christianity. He was a Bishop in the Roman province of Africa. In the year of 397 the system of Augustine was completed.
Main Feautres of the Legal Sysytem
• “God is the absolute master, by his grace, all of the determinations of the will;”
• “Man remains free, even under the action of grace;”
• “The reconciliation of these two truths rests on the manner of the Divine Government”
EXAMPLES OF LAW
St.Augustine was one of the earliest influential men, he was an early Christian theologian whose writings are considered very influential in the forming of the Western Christianity and western philosophy. His series City Of God was written during the time of the fall of the Roman Empire, many of the pagans were blaming the Christians for the fall of the Empire. In this series St. Augustine defended the Christians. Many of his beliefs were based on the Christian religion and the Bible.
He split people into two categories those part of the City of God and the City of Man. Those part of the City of God had their will and reasons towards communion of God. Those part of the City of Man look towards worldly ends. Majority of St. Augustine’s writings were focused and based on his Christian beliefs.
- There should be nothing about your clothing to attract attention.
- The superior should be obeyed as a father with the respect due as not to offend God in his person, and even more the priests who bear responsibility.
- You should either avoid quarrels altogether or else put an end to them as quickly as possible.
- The cure of the sick, whether those in consequence or others suffering from indispition, even though free of fever shall be assigned to a brother who can personally obtain from the party whatever is seen necessary for each other.
A few of the laws put in place today are very similar to what St. Augustine believed. There are laws governing are code of dress, male and female. We are to obey those in authority over us, under our parents rule until 18 years old; we are to obey the instructions of cops, those in authority in parliament etc. Health Care in Canada is free to all. One thing that has changed is the use of “God” in today’s law is very much non-existence but to many of the Christian still existent.These are a few of the examples of law by St.Augustine were listed but there are many more.
Impact on the Canadian Legal System
1. Slavery should be punished
2. Peace should be the goal of a monarch
3. 'Pursuit of peace must include the option of fighting to preserve it in the long term'
When and Where?
Just as Augustine believed here in Canada we also think slavery should be punished and we have laws against it.
Even though Canada is not a monarchy, we are known as the 'peace keeping country' which follows what St.Augustine was saying about keeping peace and that it should be the goal.
Augustine believed war should be used to fight for peace and keep it long lasting. Just as Canada sends troops to countries that need help, to fight for peace.